MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 02-11-2017, 07:42 PM
Skilled

Vintage Randall 3-6 with 1 translucent snap

Here's one you don't see every day. I think out of Grady McCotters collection

http://m.ebay.com/itm/322420623740?_mwBanner=1

Old 02-12-2017, 04:23 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Sam. The sheath is pretty special: When it was made, Heiser still had translucent snaps, but the shop had already converted to Brown Buttons. I don't think the run of translucents went much beyond six months based on the numbers I've seen in the last decade or so. That would put this one at the very beginning of 1947.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:35 AM

As an aside, this pic discloses the reason that a Heiser sheath will scratch a blade: Note the "nailhead" on the inside of the stone pocket. Heiser tacked the pocket to the sheath body so it remained positioned until it was secured by stitches. You don't usually see this photo shot. However, if you see a Heiser sheath with the stone pocket removed, you can see two holes in the body of the sheath where the nails once were.

A Johnson sheath will scratch a blade as well: The offending metal is the backside of the male snap. Gutcher mitigated this problem by covering this metal with another piece of leather.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Skilled

Thanks Ron for pointing that out. The blade reflects that too with the lengthwise minor scratches, which would not bother me. Just adds to the history of the way things were done.
The pre historic Hunter that I received from you Ron, they used two forward tacks

As always, thanks for your insight Ron.

Sam
Old 02-13-2017, 07:19 AM

My pleasure, Sam. You can't beat the old ones for screaming out the history of what the shop did way back when.

Tags
2017, back, beginning, blade, hunter, knife, leather, made, metal, photo, pocket, problem, randall, scratch, sheath, shop, stone, vintage, vintage randall