MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:43 PM
Enthusiast

Blade Sharpening Help

I am wondering if I should be getting more use out of my belts when sharpening a new blade. I typically use ATS-34, I run my machine in reverse and use the slack portion of the belt. I hold the knife so the belt is running away from the blade not into it. I hope that made sense. I use a inexpensive 3M 240G AO belt and I am lucky to get two knives sharpened with one belt. The blade thickness before sharpening is .015-.025 depending on the knife of course. Is this normal? Seems like I should be getting more out of it since the time spent on the belt per knife is so short. Should I be using ceramic maybe? Is my technique flawed?
Old 06-13-2015, 01:44 AM

I just use a word Alox. belt, 400x and get plenty of blades out of it, never use a new belt and seldom, however do more than 2-5 blades at a time. I never finish more than that all at once, it seems! I run the belt as usual, the standard direction and hold the edge up, as Loveless does. Many hold the edge down, which works fine, you just have to get used to the one you like best. It's easier to see the edge adn what';s happening to it, if it is facing up, however.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift
Old 06-16-2015, 02:09 PM
Enthusiast

Alox is just Aluminum oxide right? 400g, wow, and several blades! Well this is why I ask. I know now I am doing something wrong. Next I just have to figure out what that is. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:57 PM

Yes. Alum. Oxide. I can't figure out what's causing them to wear so quickly, they work fine for me. Unless you're using M8, then that's the reason! Good luck.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift

Tags
ats-34, belt, belts, blade, blades, edge, knife, knives, made, sharpening, thickness