MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:27 PM

Bader custom-made platen

After a request by Travis Daniel, I am posting this photo of the platen I use. It was made by Bader, for me and I've found it to be very useful. You can go ahead and hollow out your tangs on a rest, first. Then put on the platen and start to flatten them out into a taper. If you need to hollow more out of the middle of the tang, you have the 8" wheel just below the platen. Very handy. Works for me, anyway! As you can see, I machined a small slot into the arm that holds the grinding wheel (and a matching tongue into the upright mount for the platen) so that I can just drop the platen arm into place an go to work. Use the serrated wheel, not the smooth wheel, which is shown, however. You can put a nut on the end of the platen arm where it is machined into a rod and threaded and protrudes through the wheel arm, if you like. Sorry, i'm tired, having just returned form the Solvang show. I hope it makes sense!

Note, also, the pyroceram on the face of the platen plate. You can get it from Tracey Mickley at http://usaknifemaker.com/ceramic-gla....html?___SID=U. It cuts flatter and cooler than the steel platen. Just epoxied in place. Maybe I used "JB Weld?," or something like that gives a super bond. I believe it's Knife and Gun Supply's white epoxy, in the little jars, though. Has worked for 3-4 years.

Oh....this was built for me, by Bader, many years ago and I don't know if they'd be interested in making another one. You can figure it out, though, or have a local machine shop put one together, I'm sure, if interested. I can supply more photos, if anyone is interested and wants to build something like this. Some makers just use the bottom wheel of their platen to hollow out the tang and do fine - so whatever works for you......

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mibgbgnc47qq1d/DSCN2342.jpg

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift

Last edited by Steve; 04-29-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:31 PM
Skilled

Steve, that is just what i needed. Have it figured out already and will begin putting one together. Again, thanks for your help with everything. Travis

Old 04-29-2014, 11:22 PM

Great, Trav. If thou need more shots, just let me know. Good luck. Hope you like it.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 05-05-2014, 01:40 AM

I've been planning on making one I just haven't gotten around to it. It would be nice not to have to change tool arms so often.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Skilled

Steve, got this mounted today. Still have to get the pyro ceram. Added a work table also.Again, thanks for all your help. Trav

Old 05-05-2014, 02:18 PM

Looks great, Trav. Thank you. The work table is a great idea. Will it swing down below the contact wheel, out of the way, when you are using the platen, or do you just remove it?

NRA Endowment Member
Old 05-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Skilled

Steve , it will just clear the wheel and swing down out of the way. Probably just as easy to remove it.

Tags
art, bee, custom, easy, flat, help., made, making, mount, rod