MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:29 PM

I'd guess around a hundred, but that's a guess.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift
Old 11-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Enthusiast

Did you and Bob ever go on any memorable Hunting trips that you
might recall and tell us about?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:35 AM

We made a trip to Indio, CA for a Mourning Dove hunt one time. It was a great hunt, just like in the hunting movies. The birds just kept coming, and we did a lot of shooting. It was a long drive, but I've never shot any kind of bird in a situation like that. They weren't like South America, by the thousands, but they did keep flying in very regularly. We stopped at one of the party's home for a BBQ and were out by the pool. I stepped onto the surf board, thinking I could ride it and it scooted out from under me and crashed into the other side of the pool, crushing the point of the board. I felt like a fool!

We also went up to the Solemint Canyon (?) area, north of L.A. once or twice shooting a t a range up there. Bob was on heck of a pistol shot! I never came very close to shooting a pistol as well as he did!

One time in Italy we went to Val Trompia and visited the Rizzini Shotgun shop and got to shoot a $20,000, or so, shotgun in the shooting tunnel under the shop. That was quite an experience for me.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 12-07-2010, 12:13 PM

While milling some guards last night, I grabbed the collet and, changing from a 1/4 carbide end mill to a 3/16", habitually wiped it off with my hand before inserting it into the spindle and then thought, "Bob taught me that, over 30 years ago." He made it an obvious practice, every time he changed collets for that little old Clausing mill. He taught me a lot!

Every time I tap the back of a blade on my vise, to dislodge dust and filings from the handle that I'm working on, I think of Bob. That always bothered him, as he initially thought that I was banging the edge against the vise, which wouldn't do the knife edge any good! I tried to minimize that practice after that, but probably inadvertently still did it now and then, which probably bugged him, but I don't think that he said anything else about it, ever.

He also let me put the final edge on most of the knives using the old Norton stone cradle in which was mounted a soft Arkansas stone. I appreciate being able to sharpen a knife on a stone, as it is not a simple thing to do, especially with some of the steel that we use today and I haven't tried them all, either. Lots of practice is required and I got lots of practice!

NRA Endowment Member

Last edited by Steve; 12-08-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: additions
Old 12-15-2010, 04:20 PM

When I arrived in California, I had about 4 yrs. of duty in the Utah and Washington National Guard under my belt. This time consisted of 3 years in the Field Artillery, with the 105 mm, 155 mm and 8" SP Howitzers in Utah and about a year in the Infantry in Washington. I signed up for a Supply Unit in Long Beach for my last year or so. When I had to go to summer camp, Bob was very supportive and paid me for my time gone out of the shop. He was always supportive of me in most anything I did, or had to do with the Guard, monthly drills and a parade, or whatever now and then. I had a key to the shop and had free run of it and the equipment. One morning I stopped in at the shop to pick up a postage stamp at 0700 while on my way back to summer camp and hear me heard me drive up, I guess. He probably wondered what the heck I was doing in the shop so early and came rushing in to see, but all he did was say hi and to wish me a good day. Pretty early for a guy who habitually worked until 11pm - midnight almost every day/night! I was allowed to go home each night since my summer camp was at an old missile base near the coast down by the old Marineland resort. I had arrived in California too late in the year, June, to go to Camp Roberts for Summer Camp so they assigned me to this little place down by the ocean to, ".....serve my time" basically mowing lawns and doing grounds mtnse. It did beat going out to Dugway in Utah with those old 8" SP's grinding the dirt into fine, fine dust and then having a foot of mud when it rained. Quite the military career, huh? Bob totally supported our military forces.

NRA Endowment Member

Last edited by Steve; 12-16-2010 at 03:00 AM. Reason: edit, add text
Old 01-01-2011, 01:33 AM

Happy New Year, 2011. About 40 year's later, I seem to recall a couple of the fellows (Who will remain nameless) in the immediate vicinity going out on the lawn near the Loveless shop, right about this time of night, and capping off a couple of rounds from one of the guy's Ruger .41 Magnum (A trade from Rod Chappel) and probably a favorite .44 Spl. S & W Triple-lock. This is in one of the most populated areas in the world! I hope those guys didn't hurt anyone! Bob loved handguns, not all, mostly just the great ones, anything from the 1911 to the little PPK and TPH .22 and the double action six guns. I think he had a couple of old Colt .45's at one time, but mostly double actions and autos. Of course the M 41 S& W .22 was always around, either in the factory version that hadn't been worked on yet, or his little "Plinker" that he made out of the M 41. I was in line for one, but something happened to it and I ended up with a H & K P7, 9 mm, instead, which I treasure.
That little pistol can be seen here, along with other Loveless pistol modifications and a great article about him and his gun thinking:
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.as...PIC_ID=442166&

NRA Endowment Member

Last edited by Steve; 02-05-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:17 AM
Steel Addict

Happy New Year to you Steve.

Great looking pistol, and as you said an extra $3500 would come in handy.

Thank you for your help over the last year and I hope you and yours have a great 2011.

Take care

Charles
Old 01-01-2011, 09:59 AM

Thanks, Charles. We are all in this together and ought to help each other out. Thank you for your help, too. Remember that sandpaper you sent me? I hope 2011 is a wonderful year for you, and all readers of this forum, despite the challenges of the times we are in.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 01-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Enthusiast

Talking

Happy New Year 2011 to both Steve & Charles. May you both have a very prosperous year!! Btw either one of you guys have an extra $ 3500.00 I could borrow, I am a little
short right now - lol

Last edited by jayers3673; 01-01-2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: editing
Old 01-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Steel Addict

Happy New Year to you also Jim.

We all seem to be in the same boat, when it comes to gun money.

Take care

Charles
Old 01-01-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Vestal View Post
Happy New Year to you also Jim.

We all seem to be in the same boat, when it comes to gun money.

Take care

Charles
Maybe.......... if I could sell a knife...........hmmmmmmmmm?

NRA Endowment Member
Old 01-05-2011, 09:43 PM

One day we went down to Cole's Sporting Goods, in Inglewood and and came home with a brand new 20 ga. Browning Superlight. I so loved that shotgun, but had to sell it when I got to Manti. We needed a finished basement more, as I recall. Never regretted it, but I do miss that beautiful little firearm. Bob was looking out for me, most of the time. I'm sure I earned it, we did work very hard a lot of the time, turning out 20-30 knives in a month at times. bI got a Ruger Red Label, in pert trade for the Browning, which I loved, too, but traded that off to a best friend. Now we have two Rem. 870's, a 12 and a 20 for me and the boys to shoot when we go out shooting clays, which isn't often enough. Just an incident that I had come to mind.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 01-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Enthusiast

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
One day we went down to Cole's Sporting Goods, in Inglewood and and came home with a brand new 20 ga. Browning Superlight. I so loved that shotgun, but had to sell it when I got to Manti. We needed a finished basement more, as I recall. Never regretted it, but I do miss that beautiful little firearm. Bob was looking out for me, most of the time. I'm sure I earned it, we did work very hard a lot of the time, turning out 20-30 knives in a month at times. bI got a Ruger Red Label, in pert trade for the Browning, which I loved, too, but traded that off to a best friend. Now we have two Rem. 870's, a 12 and a 20 for me and the boys to shoot when we go out shooting clays, which isn't often enough. Just an incident that I had come to mind.
That story puts me in mind on how I got my sweetheart. Also back in the mid 70's, I was in downtown Dallas at Buckhorn trading post. A local gun shop back in those days ( not there anymore) that a friend of mine worked at. I strolled in one day & he said I got a hot deal for you. He went in the back & came back with a Beretta box. He pulled out a Beretta BL-6 o/u 28 ga shotgun with the most beautiful stock that I had ever seen. He snapped it together & handed it to me. It weighed 5 lbs on the button and melted in my hands. He said it was the last one & he would make me a special price.. I took it as fast as I could grap my checkbook. I already had a 20 ga A-5 browning auto that I loved, but this BL-6 was something special. It still is. I would put a for sale sign on my wife before that gun got away from me!!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:44 AM

That's a neat story, Jim. Most guns, it seems, have some meaningful history attached to them, such as my first shotgun, a Win. Mod. 59 fiberglas barreled upland game bird auto that I still just enjoy shooting, even though it's basically 50 yrs. of age, then there is the Pre-64 Mod. 70 featherweight that is a direct result of reading Jack O'Connor's Outdoor Life hunting stories. Both gifts from my parents to a youth who loved guns and hunting. Bob loved guns, as I've mentioned and would turn them over fairly regularly, always at a fair price, once he got to shoot them for a while. Didn't seem "hoard" anything, except for maybe books! Now I'm feeling badly about giving up the Superlight!

NRA Endowment Member

Last edited by Steve; 01-07-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
That's a neat story, Jim. Most guns, it seems, have some meaningful history attached to them, such as my first shotgun, a Win. Mod. 59 fiberglas barreled upland game bird auto that I still just enjoy shooting, even though it's basically 50 yrs. of age, then there is the Pre-64 Mod. 70 featherweight .270 Win. that is a direct result of reading Jack O'Connor's Outdoor Life hunting stories. Both gifts from my parents to a youth who loved guns and hunting. Bob loved guns, as I've mentioned and would turn them over fairly regularly, always at a fair price, once got to shoot them for a while. Didn't seem "hoard" anything, except for maybe books! Now I'm feeling badly about giving up the Superlight!
Steve,
You grew up reading Jack O'Connor stories too? He was my hero. I read every Outdoor Life story that he ever wrote plus all his books. Which I still have by the way. His style of writing made the reader feel like he was right there with him. Ever read "Game in the Desert" ? A classic outdoor book of hunting in old time Arizona amd Mexico in the 20's & 30's I know Bob loved handguns as you related, but did you & him ever take any Deer hunting trips ( or other big game hunts) ? Do you still have that pre-64 Model 70 ?

Last edited by Steve; 01-07-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Spelling: O'Connor

Tags
blade, bowie, brand, brass, christmas, custom, fixed blade, folder, forge, guard, guards, heat treat, hidden, hunting, ivory, knife, knife making, knifemaker, knifemaking, knives, military, post, sharpening, supply, tang