MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 01-15-2002, 09:50 AM
Rocketrider

Re: Tips.Tricks ect.

I've found that when I do drop something on the floor, the easiest way to find it is to get a flashlight with a focused beam (maglight, etc.) and put the flashlight on the floor such that the beam becomes a 'searchlight' -- with a cone of light across a piece of the floor. Now slowly rotate the flashlight so the beam sweeps the floor and it's much easier to find the item since the light will highlight the item and the shadow it casts makes it 'bigger' and easier to see.
Old 01-15-2002, 01:08 PM
Geno

Mix your epoxy on a coffee can lid, let the waste dry and bend the lid to remove, it's ready to use next time. It peels right off.

Put a throw rug under your assembly bench so when you drop something, it isn't dented or scratched.It keeps tips from breaking too when the blade falls.
I don't know why a finished blade seems to ALWAYS hit on the tip.

Put masking tape on pearl, and fragile materials before cutting with a band saw, it keeps the chipping down to a minimum.

I have a big magnet tied onto a string. When I drop something metal(that I can't see),I swing the magnet back and forth about 1/2" from the ground and that magnet WILL find it for me.(along with the other metal stuff down there )

In cold weather, use a blow dryer to warm up all the parts before gluing.It helps it to stick better and squeezes out thinner for a cleaner finished look.

When hand sanding on the flat plate, the thinner parts that are hard to hold, can be held with a little molding clay.It comes right back off ready for the next part.When that blob gets full of sand and won't hold anymore, just throw that wad away and get some more. It is a cheep fix for sore fingers.

More later if you need them.
Old 01-15-2002, 01:15 PM
Geno

Oh ya, The blow dryer is also a good personal heater in the winter too.
When cold, just lift up your shirt and blow the warm air inside, then close the shirt quickly. The heat will knock the chill right off of you.It's amazing!
Old 01-15-2002, 01:39 PM
Gary Mulkey

The easiest way I've found to clean up after mixing epoxy is to mix it on a package of note pads. After you're done just peel off the top note pad and throw away. Any distributor is glad to give you all the note pads with there advertising on them that you want so I have a constant supply of them.

Gary
Old 01-15-2002, 03:54 PM
srjknives

Thanks everyone.

If we're not careful, we're going to have to categorize all these tips! Heat Treat, Finishing, Grinding, Assembly, Machining, Lost and Found, Safety, Personal Heaters, etc., etc., etc.

This is great!

Last night I was peening some 1/16" pins on little thin ferrules and I thought that I'd try it while using my "Opti-Visor." Give it a try, you can see every tap and see the effect of same, allowing you to control the peening process and keep the pin straight, etc. It helped a lot.
Old 01-15-2002, 05:23 PM
srjknives

I just tried the heat gun under the shirt.

Do you have to pay the fire dept. for visits
to your shop?
Old 01-15-2002, 05:52 PM
lottknives

some tips

first..get a handfull of those little bar magnets..
throw them around under your workbench...
clean out about once a week..month whatever..
just remove good screws ect from them and put them
back...
second..take a drawer..build it if you have to..
it will be long..wide..not too deep..couple inches..
and put it on rails so it slides in and out from under the top of your workbench.. put some of the bumpy foam
in the bottom of it... when useing small screws and things you might drop..just pull out the drawer agianst
you while your working..if you drop something..it will
fall into the drawer..easy to retireve..when done..push the
drawer back in... all done...

do not wipe filings and metal shavings with shop rags
and then wash them...brush the metal into a dustpan!!!
or your liable to find sharp things in your levis the next time you sit down!!!

need an hot source to quickly cure your epoxy..
take an old steam iron...clamp it upside down in the
shop vise. and plug it in!

polishing... never take a knive from one buff to another
without cleaning it first with amonia.. it will disolve rouge.
instantly...

Old 01-15-2002, 09:09 PM
Bob Warner

Re: some tips

This is a good one but a little expensive.

Have a kid so he can sweep the shop. They get a little cranky sometimes but food usually takes care of that.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:15 AM
srjknives

Food.......hmmmmmm....

I've tried money, knives, candy, movies, toys, hmmmmm....

Why not? So, it'll go something like this:
"You don't need to vac. the shop, only on the days that you eat."

I think we have a breakthrough here.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:26 AM
Cactusforge

For a degreser and solvent for adheasives I use spray Brake Cleaner it does not leave any resadiue will work when others won't, also one of the best powder solvents for Gun cleaning
Gib
Old 01-16-2002, 11:39 AM
Mondt

There are some great ideas here guys!

I was pleased to see that I had some of these ideas already in place.

Personally I just recently installed a wooden floor in my shop. I really like it when the knife blade decide to take a dive. It is much nicer to stand on too.

I got a new vice for Christmas too! It is a Wilton that swivels 360 degrees and will lay over at a 90 degree angle too. Looks to be very useful!
Old 01-16-2002, 04:21 PM
m l williams

tips

Some really good stuff here. Maybe this one will help the ones out there who do housekeeping in the shop as poorly as I do. Put a desk calender/blotter on the bench when doing final finish work. Tear off each page as it gets dirty. You have a bright, clean, non-scratch surface for each job. I try to bum one from all the places I do business with. Sometimes at the end of the year you can get all the old ones they have on hand. You cluttered bench types need to try this. By the way, the rumours going around about my shop are a pathetic attempt by backward arkies to slander me. The trip hammer was just under some other stuff for a few months. mw
Old 01-16-2002, 05:23 PM
srjknives

Re: tips

Good ideas, all.

I'm looking for a calendar tonight.

Interesting how free everyone is with their ideas. Says a lot for the type of folks that are involved in knifemaking.
Thaks.

Old 01-16-2002, 08:56 PM
Frank Niro

tips

Hey guys, there is a product called Mean Green avaiable at lots of places. My wife believes it is the best cleaner for so many things and with me here she thinks that's so important. Boy is it good stuff in the shop for cleaning tough stuff off of blades,handles,etc. !! It is bio degradable, and will not hurt your eyes even if you get sloppy with it. It also works great for cleaning in and out of R.V.s I believe it works at least as good as the brake cleaning stuff without he severe smell. Not as expensive either.Frank Niro
Old 01-17-2002, 10:33 PM
srjknives

Re: tips

Heard of Mean Green but never tried it. I'll look for some.

If you can't get a wooden floor, try some rubber mats of some kind. My friend got me some industrial conveyor belting that helps an awful lot in easing sore feet. Eases the stress when something falls on the floor, as Mondt mentions about the wood floor. It's about 2' wide and maybe 3/8" thick. Any of the floor pads would be helpful. Some are kind of expensive. The wood sounds great.

Tags
art, blade, brand, building, fixed blade, forge, forging, grinding, guard, handle, hidden, knife, knife making, knives, material, noob, pivot, post, sheath, solder, stone, supplies, supply, tang, trap