MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:40 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
Baby food jars make good see through containers.
Screw the lids to an overhanging shelf and the jars attatch in an out of the way place.Make rows for storage that is easily seen and gotten to.
Just look up to find the 1/8 rivets, and unscrew the jar for easy access, when finished, just screw the jar back in place overhead and out of the way.
Hello
Your post took me back to my childhood ( 50's and 60's ). I couldn't help but remember one of our projects ( in industrial arts shop. ) It was a rotating small parts holder. We made what looked like an old time " tool caddy " with tapered end plates. What would have been the wooden dowel handle, was 4 pieces of 1x4 cut to about 16" long and nailed together to form a tube 4" X 4" X 16" long. Next we cut 2 4X4 plates and drilled a 3/4" holes through the center and nailed and glued them to the ends of the square tube. Then the tube had a 3/4" wooden dowel inserted through it's length, and glued in place. Next 2 fairly long wood screws were put through 3/16" holes drilled in the end plates and into the center of the wooden dowel, so the whole square tube rotated with the wood screws acting as axles. Then we took baby food jars, and with short wood screws through the center of the lids, we attached the lids along the entire length of each side of the wooden tube. Now you could fill the baby food jars with nuts, bolts, small screws, anything you wanted to, set the whole thing on your work bench and have access to whatever you needed, simply by rotating the tube to the jar of parts you wanted. And since the jars were clear, you could see what was in each jar. I hope this makes some sense and helps give you a small parts storage ideas? You may be able to find diagrams for this online ? I have seen other people with these on their work benches, so it can't just be a local school thing? Good luck.
Best regards:
Stoney327
Old 08-14-2015, 12:42 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappo View Post
One of the best tips I've heard in a while, I got from Steve's sub-hilt video. The thumb of an old glove cut off and slid over your present glove. I don't know why but I wouldn't have thought of that and it works great.
I've been using a couple of rubber money counting thimbles after i read it on a forum some ware, they work great and still effective when wet
Steve
Old 08-14-2015, 12:55 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
This past while, as I fought to get just the right amt. of handle material off, while fitting the "spacer" piece, ahead of the sub-hilt, it dawned on me that the problem was not the spacer, or me, but the worn-out sanding disc that I was using. It got the material hot, it wold not cut straight and true and it was taking forever. I switched it to a sharper disc and my problems were solved. It cut faster (so I did have to take it easy on the pressure against the disc, so that I didn't cut it too short!) but it cut my time in half and the accuracy of the cut was much improved! Of course, this might be obvious to many, but sometimes we just get working along and don't pay attention to the obvious. Though it might not hurt to mention it. Same goes for grinding belts, of course....... ....except for Trizact belts and cork belts, which seem to never wear out, at times!
Steve, You just reminded me of similar frustrations i had recently with my cork belts. no matter what i did or how long i persisted i couldn't get the scratches out of the last few blades, it was driving me nuts and wasting hours until it dawned on me they could be contaminated with wayward grit. So i grabbed an old hardened blade blank and forced it into the belt stripping off all the compound that had built up until i saw fresh cork. It took considerable force to achieve...Problem solved! Polishing blades is a joy once more.
They may last for years but they appear to need some TLC every now and then.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 08-16-2015, 07:14 PM

Good points, Steve.
Thank you.
Those belts are expensive and if we can make them last longer it's great!

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift
Old 08-19-2015, 12:30 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to zappo
Thanks guys I was having the same problem with cork belts, it looked like it was putting scratches IN. I have been going to a 15 micron after the cork belt. I'll clean my belt.

Tags
art, blade, brand, building, fixed blade, forge, forging, grinding, guard, handle, hidden, knife, knife making, knives, material, noob, pivot, post, sheath, solder, stone, supplies, supply, tang, trap

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 680
2dogslovin, 2LBT, 300fps, 30Cal, 888captain, A.Callahan, AAK, acas, Adam, add147, aggieangler12, aith, ak47knifeworks, Al8236, alphametal, alterfurz, Altofsky, Andrew Garrett, andrewgbell, andrewoval, Andrew_Plummer, AndyS, angeloscotti, anton shostak, anvilstrkr, Any 22, ao1, aquamanlr, ArcticGunsmith, argel55, ariz gamebird, Art Swyhart, ArtB, aslil, atac, ATalley, AwP, Axeman58, Bamaboy, Bano119, barrelrcrdad, BarryC, BattleBorn, bayoubeast, bbeishline, BCROB, BDH1, Beararmsforge, bearghrills, Bearpaw Customs, bem_39503, ben belt, bgmills, bheff, BigCountry86, bigezwalekr, bigezwalker, bigjohn070, Bigjohnknives, Bill Vining, bill-62249, BillyJack92, Biotopp, BItPlz, bjmac, bking, Blackstone, BladePatriot, blindpig, bloomqmx, Blue Sasquatch, Blueheeler, bluesman, boatbuilder, Bob Bair, Bob McRee, Bob Warner, Bobasan, body mass, boodrow, BOP01, boty100, Brad Johnson, Breed, Brett Holmes, Brett Schaller, brezolin, brianhail, Bruno Marr, bspencer, Bud Mattox, Buffarilo, bushbuck, bushworker, Bustacapps, byrdrich, byron pretzel, C Craft, C.M. Arrington, C?sar Pereira, CACowboy, cadman, cajunbowhunter, Cake_14N, Calvin Robinson, Camerer, caribou, Carl Colson, cassio, Cat skinner, cbr900son, cc60, cdel, CE Brooks, cedarfluteman, cedarguitar, Chad M., chaddumbris, chall, Charles Vestal, Cheetah, chiefneckofred, Chiggidy, Chris Pauley, Christopher85, claxton, Cliff Krug, ClifW, clivehamilton77, clw3, Clyde Ulmer, cnccutter, coachk, cocobolo, coldsteelburns, coldtracker, Con, conman, contenderfan, cordless101, couldbe, Cowtown, Crapton042, crotalus, Crotalus69, Cthulhu, Cubane, curt crum, Cut One, cwiehle0, czarjl, D. Buzbee, D. Douglas Suth, dallas1, damon, damonw81, Dan512, danilad, darrell, dashcut, Daslogster, Dave Armour, David66, davidw, dbrunson, dcart, Deanarm, Dennis Paish, Desertblade, dgrayded, DickC, diesel197, Dietz, Dionysus, DJS_Skinner, dk19224, dkaschner, dmoye, doctorducttape, Don Adams, Don Robinson, donnymac250, Donovan5055, Donsylvest, Doug Adams, dpitt417, drhauer, drman63, drrector, dtec1, duck26, Ed of all trade, Ed Tipton, edge2886, Eikeland, ekremer, Eldon Talley, Eli Jensen, elkcub, elktaco, Engineer Mike, Eric A., Eric Branscum, erinroadie, ezed, F. Canabarra, ferris, Fguido5150, FGYT, fhf, Firehouse forge, fiserman, fjkratky, fkrow, flagaman, flintbone, flintlocknfur, flipeastman, flkingery, Ford Fairlane, Frank Castle, fred carter, freddy317, Freshwest, Full_Tang, Fulmaduro, fusionblades, fuzzy, Ga Red, gage karsten, GARob, Gary Mulkey, Gary Roberts, garygillum, GauGe1722, gemeriau, george nobles, germano utsch, Getulio mineiro, gh1, GIKNIFE, glassguy, gll, glyn.c, gmwoodturner, Golfer, grant, Grappo73, graveur, Gray Dog, greenbone65, grosnando, gsain, GTrenwithKnives, gugaga, hadley perdue, HaloMan87, hartswave, Hayden H, hbarncraftworks, hddriver1, Hilton Mendes, HogDad, hollisswitch, houston black, hoyer, HoytCarbmatrix, Hunter10139, Hurley, Huskysibe, I'M DK, ian vinhas, icarryacolt45, Icho, IFLY4U, Inman, IowaHarry, irishknifeworks, irondun, irongates67, Ironwood Nut, Itchibelli, J P, J.Babody, j.g.emmerling, J.W. Gross, Jackbarry3, Jackster, jacob7, James N, Jamey Saunders, jank, Jason Fry, jasonshane, JawJacker, Jay-Z, jayers3673, JayRod, jaysmith10, JB3, jdale, jdevarennes, JDMusic, jdsheriff, Jeffba, jeffbuzzz, jemoran, Jeremy, JeremyRayTurner, JerryG, jes4e, JGardner, JGB206, Jim T, jimbegor, jimroe, jkzook, jmccustomknives, jmoenck, joe sangster, Joe Smith, Johnnyjump, johnsparks, johnwsmith2, Jon Christensen, joneill, joorge, jpilgrim, JSAWorks, jtdesigns, jty322, Juggernaut, jus2311, kalia-007, Karl B. Andersen, Karl S, kcorn, ken dixon, Ken lowry, kenneth M, Kerrie, kestas, Kevster, KKB9750, knifeedgetx, Knifeman01, Knoj, Kostoglotov, kranker1450, kreimans, kwikemart, KYBWHNTR, LABlade, Lamar$$, lamiametalcraft, Larry Peterson, lbarks67, lcaron, lcsbecker, Lee B, Lee Barnhill, Leeco knives, Lilmonsternsa, Lisso, littletree, Loggerhead, LoneGoose, Lourival, LShull, lsknives, lunar4772, lytefoot45, M. Hutchinson, maddox, madmax888, manitou1, Marc, Marc585, Mark Smith, MarkStefan, Marlinspiker, MARVIN, mat.maste, Matt Bufford, matt souza, Matthew Gregory, maxmadco, mbcajun, MBro, mcerizza, MCThrills, mdevers49, merzb, metiezniks, Mglover, Michael Stein, MichaelStgt, Midnight, Mike Grecco, mike miracle, MikeL, MikeT, miketheknife, Mit, mitch p, Mitchell.trahan, mixajura, mjlthuston, MJP, mknife, MoblMec, MontrealSean, Mortenstr, Mr.GOC, mruth, MSmike1, MT Pockets, MTBound, MTDuke, mwhuston, mwilson, Naboyle, Nat Bassett, nate d., NCBoy, Neil Borja, newbie13, Next up, Niklas, NJStricker, NPD, Nprdavid, Oculist, OkieMike, oldfly, oldwolf, orp, Oso25, ostrick, otavio, Pairomedicsfish, PaMtnBkr, PaperPatched, Pappy1111, pappy19, patrick hubbard, paul bold, paulorocha, pcamillo, Pedro Fornari, Pelallito, peterbermingham, petere76, PEU, phil c, pieinthesky, pieter@rhinobag, PietF, piggy, Pilotbe40, pilozard, Pinto, pjelect, Plas62, PoolQs, possumcop, pparris, prisonbreak, pryor, PSarganis, psdavi01, Quadra, Quentis, R. D. Finch, racinca, racjarrett88, Radar, ramona, Randall Kepley, RandyScott, Ranger87, RantNRave, Ray Roberts, Rayant, RCKnifeworks, RClubb, rdelaune, rebender49, rebglass, Recurve, Red Shed Knives, Reddy2ride, RedstickJP, reefera4m, remist17, RHammer, richardwilliams, Richarpo, rick c, Rick Gorman, Rick Weaver, ridgecracker, Ringtail Knives, rlmcbee, rnielsen, Roadhazzard, robbrown, Robe338, Robert Dark, Robert Washburn, Robin Linck, rockhound, Rodrigo Lavieri, Rog, rollingrock123, Ron Aggus, Ron Reeves, ronaggus, rontwa, rscoffey, Ruggero, Run2trouble, Russ Andrews, Rustbucket, ryano, s mcfall, sahunter, salerno, Sallet, Samuel A. Wing, samuraistuart, SandLine, sanguip, sauloliveira, Scania, schmitt, Schuyler, Scorp2305, Scott Hanson, scott.livesey, scox, sdcb27, sdeering, SDhammer, Sean O'Hare, sebastiaan56, secretsquirrel, Sergio Segre, Sgp918, Shakudo, sharab85, SharpEdge0913, SharpTexan, shoprat, SHostetler, Shremick, simrun, skaworm, SKW, slash5john, smithy, SmokeyJay, Spevial111, squigly1965, ss knives, stalbot, Starfire06, Steve M, Steve Schnetter, SteveA1, stevesoftail, sticks, stone600, stoney327, stubby123, superman, sway, synthesist, T. Spencer, T.K.R., Tallpine46, TBridgers, teach, teejay1980, terry stewart, TexasJack, texasrecurve, The Watt Doctor, Thingmaker, throttlejunkey, Tigweldr, Tim Torson, timekeeper, Tmauney2, tmerkl, tmroper, Tom Lewis, tomwatson, tonym, Topcraft, ToppCatt, TopShot1990, torchart, TotallyC, totis, trav, travr, troglodyte, TroyMorris, Tslyter, tsterling, TUpton, turimurgo, tuskbuster, TWITHERS, twojs, txwoodchip, TYG, Ulfberht, Uncle Gramps, uraok, usmc_rocko, VanAnt, velociraptor, Verewolf, victordonald, viking-sword, Vinmuller, virgil4, vjohn, walifs, walkerbait, walnutbear, Warlock80, WBE, wcmesa, wei0401, Weld Inc, Whipster, whirlwind, Wild Bill, will70steed, Willem, William Schrade, willief, willquest, Willy, Win Heger, Win3855, winndhook, wishbone, WNC Goater, Wolfgang Ritter, wolfsniper6mm, wollie, womble, woodchuck, Wrecks, wtama, xiameng_236, xl54ss, Xlrrp, xspook2158, xuxy, Yragael, yuandongdy, Yun Lee, yxrancher, zappo, zeker, Zmanjax, zombielife