MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 06-19-2003, 08:47 AM

Nice, light and handy.

Thank you for the photos, Jason.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:37 AM
Steel Addict

Feather Lites

Jason, I love the looks of those two knives! Where did you get the black and olive colored micarta? I would love to get a little of that stuff. Thanks, Bill.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:50 PM
Living Legend

Talking That Micarta

Thanks for the comments re:- the knives. The Micarta was purchased as "Black LInen MIcarta" from Texas Knifemaker's Supply. When it was ground etc. it turned out like that - definitely NOT your everyday black linen. I spoke to the folks at Texas 'cos I was that impressed with the material I wanted to get more ! However, they indicated that they didn't stock anything that fit that description and were a bit puzzled by the result.

I suspect what has happened is that they too, order black linen Micarta and were shipped something else. In unground flat plate form, this stuff is indistinguishable from black linen. (WEll, there are some clues, but thats in hindsight.) IN the past, I've been sent green canvas Micarta instead of black canvas, or black and turquoise canvas instead of green canvas etc. IN a hurry, in low light - they look very similar.

The closest thing I could find was Koval's listing of black and green K-carta, but only in 3/8inch thickness. This stuff I got in 1/8inch and 1/4inch thicknesses.

Hope this helps. Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 06-19-2003, 04:40 PM
Skilled

Re: Feather Lites

Quote:
Originally posted by bgmills
Jason, I love the looks of those two knives! Where did you get the black and olive colored micarta? I would love to get a little of that stuff. Thanks, Bill.
It's Black/Green Micarta. I heard that Kovals carries it.
If not, Angus Campbell certainly would. No website, so the ph# is, 1-323-587-1236. That's in Los Angeles, CA.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:56 AM
Steel Addict

Feather Lites

Mike, thanks for the info. I'll certainly look into it.

Bill
Old 07-09-2003, 09:51 AM

Put me down as someone one dislikes lightweight knives; to me they actually feel "cheap". My normal carry knife for hunting is a 3 1/2" Linder of fairly classic lines. The knife is not "heavy" as such but feels "solid" in the hand. I have used far lighter knives of comparable build quality and oversall size, but I much prefer the feel of the Linder....
Old 07-10-2003, 08:55 PM
Living Legend

Cool Opposing philosophies.

I agree with ete that sometimes a more hefty feel in the hand is what you need. To each their own. For those who like it a bit heavier, here's one I made yesterday.

http://ckdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15349

Ciao. Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 07-11-2003, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast

I think a knife with a lot of distal taper can be thicker at the ricasso than it would seem and still feel real good. I think thickness is a minor factor. If the feel and heft of the knife is pleasing and it cuts well then the thickness is pretty irrelevant.
The feel of a knife is a very individual taste. If your customers like them then you are doing it right. But; don't be afraid to experiment, this is an evolving craft. mike

Old 07-06-2013, 11:47 AM

Quick question. Is .200 bigger than 3/16?

Quick question. Is .200 bigger than 3/16?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hull View Post
I can only say what I would use.
The skinner = 3/32-1/8"

The Bowie = 3/16-.200"

Kitchen knife = 1/16-1/8" depending on size.

Bird and Trout = 3/32-1/8" " "

Chopper = 1/8-5/32" if it was a big one. You could get away with 3/16" if it was shorter.
JMO.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Steel Addict

Yes. 3/16 is .188 so it's not much bigger.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:54 PM

Thank you.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:45 AM

I am going to start making knives and I am not totally sure if this is good steel and if this is good length, width, and thickness.

Steel Type: 5160 Carbon Steel

Thickness: .230"

Length: 13.1"

Width: 2.0"
Old 08-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Steel Addict

.230 is just under 15/64" .250 is 1/4" depends on what kinda knife you're making, stock removal or forging? 5160 is a great steel as long as you know that it's 5160 and not "a leaf spring and they're SUPPOSE to be 5160".
Old 08-07-2013, 11:34 AM

Sounds like a good start to me. Best of luck! No need to make the blade 1/4", generally.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift
Old 08-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Enthusiast

Location: I was born and raised in Spanish Fork, Utah. I now live between Manti and Ephraim, Utah. We built a home here about 10 year ago.
If I may,

I have been using 3/16 stock for the past 4 or 5 years now. My next steel order will be 1/4 inch" stock which I used for many years. This decission is a lot like the "train robber theorum" which states that "when you are robbing a train, you can rob it any way you want to."

I have seen knives that were hammered out of berring race material that really held a fine edge. The owner was hacking at a limb and the edge chipped. The same thing can happen when a knife is thrown at rocks and such.

I was a deer hunter when I was a lad and along with others I have used a rock to bash the top of the knife to split the brisquet. "not reccomended for a skinning blade." "Stuff Happens." I like the thicker back and I like the looks of a deep hollow grind. I can't really justify my opinions on sound scientific principles, however, as long as I make em' and then sell then, I will continue to "rob the train any way I want to! And you can too!

Best wishes, Larry Peterson

Tags
5160, art, bee, blade, bowie, edge, fixed blade, forging, hollow grind, hunter, hunting knife, knife, knives, make, making, material, skinner, skinning, steel, stock removal