MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:08 PM
Enthusiast

Advertising Question?

I have a "right or wrong" type of question. I am going to have some business cards made up and I would like to have a picture of a knife I've made on there. Would it be wrong to put a picture of a knife I made but Loveless designed on my card? I would like to use a pic of the knife I just finished but think it might not be the "right" thing to do. What do you think? I have a couple of knives I have designed but of course not as appealing as a lugged guard fighter.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:26 PM
Guru

If that is the type of knife that you do most then certainly use that picture. Bob didn't mind people copying his styles, in fact he encouraged it.

You want to convey to the public the type of work that they can expect from you so use a photo of the style of knife that shows that best.

Gary

Last edited by Gary Mulkey; 02-11-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:04 PM

Just do your thing, most knifemakers make a Loveless design in their career. If it has your name on it, and there is no appearance that it is a "Loveless," no problem, IMO.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift
Old 02-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks guys. You gave me the answer I wanted to hear! When I first decided to make knives about 4 years ago I had no idea who Bob Loveless was. I was just searching the web for ideas and liked that style of knife. I don't make them because I think that style will sell. Heck I had no intentions of selling knives. I didn't even know there was such a market for handmade knives. I just wanted a hobby and I liked the Loveless style. Thanks again.

Tags
design, fighter, guard, handmade, handmade knives, hobby, knife, knives, made, make, problem, sell