MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:18 PM

Noob hard with a vengeance

Hello everyone,

My name is Don. I'm new to knife making and new to this site. I've gleaned some knowledge from Youtube videos and now have the bug. I've got a pretty decent assortment of tools, but I don't have a decent grinder. I've just got a 4x36 Harbor Freight POS.

I have some flat bar stock in 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4" thicknesses. It's ASTM A36 steel, is it even possible to make a decent knife from this? I'm going to try and get down to my local steel place today and get some O1 or 1050, but I don't know if they have it in precut lengths like the A36 I've got.

I want to make my own forge for heat treating, and I have a mig welder to frame one up, so I'll be doing some serious research on that (burners and such).

I hope to make this into a serious hobby, and possibly more in the future if I ever get any good!

Thanks for having me here,

Don M

Last edited by dmitt25; 11-29-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Welcome Don! To answer your question, no, A36 will not make a decent knife as it will not harden. A36 just means it's general purpose steel made from remelted scrap and they don't actually know exactly what is in it. If you really want to get serious about your knife making you must know what steel you are working with. O1 is too expensive for the work you need to be doing now and 1050 is a low carbon steel not suitable for good knives. You need 1084 or 1080. You can get that from the New Jersey steel Baron or from Kelly Cupples. Use the Search feature in this forum to find their contact info, they get referenced a lot.

Come join us in the Chat Room Sunday afternoon if you can. See the Chat Room Sticky thread at the top of this forum for details on when and how. The Chat Room is a great way to get assistance getting over the initial hurdles without too many false starts. It's free and doesn't require any special software or computer knowledge ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-29-2013, 02:19 PM

I can already see I'm going to like it here! Right out of the gate I get a helping hand from the founder! Thanks Ray. I would love to try out the chat room. 1080 or 1084, got it. I just called my local steel supplier. They're closed. I guess they think they deserve to get the day after Thanksgiving off like me.

I'll look into the two companies you referenced in the meantime, along with spending some more time reading on Knife Network.

Thanks again

Don
Old 11-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Skilled

Don't knock that 4x36 too hard. It's a little slower but you can still do some pretty nice stuff on it. Most of us started out small. Some did it the hard way, some listened to those who did it the hard way and took the easier route. If you don't have one, invest in a torch, it's a handy tool around the 'smiths shop. Good luck!
Old 11-29-2013, 02:59 PM

Sorry I trashed the 4x36 grinder I have. You're right. It's not the worst thing in the world, but I've seen the amazing grinders that are out there, and I know how far off the mark mine is. Until I can afford to build or buy a good grinder, my little Harbor Freight one will have to do!

I have an oxy/acetylene torch (also cutting head and a rosebud) and a little map/oxy torch. Is this what you mean? Hopefully I can put them to some use!

Thanks
Old 11-29-2013, 03:12 PM

I see you're in Everett. I used to live in Everett until I moved over here. If you feel like a field trip next summer you might head over this way.

Ya, those torches are what he meant. They, and most any other tool you have, will find their way into your knife making sooner or later ...

Old 11-29-2013, 03:13 PM

Just noticed where you live Ray. I rode my motorcycle past your house this summer
Old 11-29-2013, 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=Ray Rogers;466571]I see you're in Everett. I used to live in Everett until I moved over here. If you feel like a field trip next summer you might head over this way.[\QUOTE]

I'd love that! If you guys didn't get so much snow, I'd be over there sooner! I look for any opportunity to road trip on my motorcycle, and this would be an excellent opportunity.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:42 PM

Chances are you didn't quite ride past my house but you possibly got withing 10 miles. Anyway, it would be a great motorcycle trip, about 275 miles door to door from my place in Everett (corner of Hwy 99 and 128). You really wouldn't enjoy it much right now though. Check my website, do the Shop Tour ....

Old 11-29-2013, 03:48 PM

When I said I rode by, I meant just on hwy 20. Wow, so you're 10 miles back from hwy 20? That's quite removed! I bet it's peaceful

I'm on your website right now. Great pictures. Lots of info. Thanks Ray!
Old 11-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Skilled

Ray has a forge building tutorial on there too. Ray is the man!

Old 11-29-2013, 11:26 PM
Hall of Famer

You can improve your 4X36 by gluing a raised platen under your belt. You can get some ceramic platen material from High Temperature Tools and Refractory and glue it down with something like JB Weld. Also put a couple of machine screws just below it for the ceramic platen to rest on in case the epoxy gives.

Just make sure the ceramic platen lines up with the belt so that it can cut plunge lines. This is a modification that I got off a gunsmith/machinist.

Doug

Tags
1084, back, build, building, flat, forge, grinder, hand, harden, heat, helping, hobby, knife, knife making, knives, made, make, making, material, noob, shop tour, software, steel, tools, tutorial