MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:08 AM

Crooks from England!

Hi, all. Just FYI:
This past week I received two emails from old friends and business associates who had gotten, "...robbed and were stranded in England and needed money to get a ticket back home." I was leery of both, so called one and left a message. They were out of town on vacation. The next day I got a real email from the other friends telling me that they had been made aware of the lying email the day before and disavowed any connection with it, their address book had been hacked and that email was not from them, which I appreciated. Please be wary of any email, ever, asking for money, personal information, bank accounts, address, etc. This is a scary world!

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift
Old 01-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Steel Addict

you know Steve, if some people put forth as much effort to do the right thing as they do the wrong thing, they'd be surprised how much easier life is......
Old 01-19-2012, 04:37 AM
Steel Addict

Steve,

Thanks for the heads up.

Well, I got one of those e-mails last year from a friend of mine that just happens to be a U.S. Marshall.

When I called him it seemed like he cursed for about 30 minutes, before I could get another word in.

Everyone he worked with was giving him grief over that fact that a U.S. Marshall was a accomplice to attempted fraud.

It just goes to show that almost anyone can get hacked.

Also anyone can get scammed if they don't use a little common sense when repling to e-mails, letters, calls, ETC.

Jeff
Old 02-11-2012, 10:37 PM

This same scam happened to my wife and I while we were on vacation. Someone sending email to friends and family asking for money to be sent as we were stranded. But they took it one step further and opened a bank account in my wife's name and used that to transfer all the money from our account to the one they opened and then out of the country. $1600 dollars that we never saw again and the banks involved would do nothing about it even though we could prove we had no involvement. I would call your friend and warn him. I would hate to see any one else go through this.