MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 08-03-2005, 12:46 AM

Fastest You've Ever Gone

Ok, no "rocket in the bu^^" jokes here, please! Just wondering, what's the fastest you've fellas have ever driven a car? I, unintentionally of course , broke the speed limit recently by a full fold... it's funny, driving triple digits feels so slow.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:33 AM
Steel Addict

Well Suf, in the 400i, I clocked about 121 mph , assuming the speedo is correct. In the old days on my 1972 Imola Ducati, racer about 138 mphr. Fst enough for me 8o

Old 08-03-2005, 07:47 AM

Suf,

Normally I drive a very conservative 55-60mph in my vintage Windstar. However, on my way back from the Blade Show, I actually hit 100 just to get away from a string of 18 wheelers that I had just passed. Of course I maintained this speed for about 2 seconds.

I was driving a turbo-charged Volvo S60 (rental)

The fastest I ridden my bicycle was 35mph, going down a straight steep hill.

Cheers!

A Slow Moving Moosehead

Old 08-03-2005, 07:47 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
Welcome over, Sir.

The fastest that I have been wasn't in a car. I have been 145 mph on a BMW 1200RS at Road Atlanta, back when they used to have Gravity Gulch, while attending Reg Pridmore's CLASS Motorcycle school, back in the 90s. I think the fastest that I have ever been in a cage ... er ... car is about 110-115 mph.

I'm happy keeping it at or below 90 now in my advanced old age and shot reflexes.

-gary

- Ronald Reagan
Old 08-03-2005, 09:00 AM
Steel Addict

I had one of the newer squads up to about 127. It started to shake and rattle. and about scared the ---- out of me, so I backed it down. Never hope to drive that fast again. I was pretty young then, and not quite as smart!

Kent

We grow too soon old, and too late smart!
Old 08-03-2005, 09:03 AM

I had read about the new 1989 Taurus "SHO" (Super High Output) with a 3.0 litre 24 valve 220 HP Yamaha engine well before it came out and placed a deposit as soon as the dealership would accept one. When it finally arrived, the guy told me it was the 1st one delivered to the West Coast. Road and Track's "top end spec" on it was 143 MPH. Maybe 6 months later, I was driving back from San Francisco to San Jose on highway 280 about 3:00 in the morning. There wasn't another car I could see in either direction along a nice straight stretch of road so I decided to let the legs out. I had it in 5th gear and the best I could pull was a little over 130. Gear ratios and wind resistance came to mind and so I dropped it down into 4th gear. The speedo then crept past the 140 mark as the tach hit it's 7000 redline. That experience satisfied my curiosity about speed. Once was enough for me.

Ron
Old 08-03-2005, 09:45 AM
Steel Addict

Bo, I had the same car. I was scrolling down to find the bottom when I saw your story. Once was enough for me too. It didn't feel as fast as the speedo says and it wasn't worth it. I never did it again, though for the first year I made a point of passing every Corvette I saw in my four-door sedan.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:02 AM

Hi Sam,

Yeah that "4 door sedan" was a sleeper! It would outpull 5.0 Mustangs from 80 to 110 in 3rd gear. While I had that car, I saw many looks of disbelief and got quite a few chuckles

Best,

Ron
Old 08-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Skilled

Send a message via MSN to chrisinbeav Send a message via Yahoo to chrisinbeav
Woohoo a thread that's right up my alley!

In my current car, 99 Mustang, I'm not sure how fast I've been, the speedo only goes up to 125. I topped it out a couple years ago on a trip to California.

In my Porsche that I had for a short time I topped it out at 120. It was just a little 914, barely a Porsche.

I've also had a Formula V racecar for a short time. I was clocked out at PIR doing 145.

My all time fastest, was in a 2002 Porsche RSR, a factory built racecar. Ultra-badass!!!
We were doing 195 in the straights. However I wasn't driving. The owner of this fantastic was behind the wheel. 195... is ridiculously fast!!! This car was just amazing. We would be doing 60-75 on the last turn before the main straight, and in less than 4-5 seconds we were doing 195. You couldn't lift your head from the headrest if you wanted.

Chris Nilluka
Old 08-03-2005, 11:34 AM
Skilled

Thumbs up

....CH47D with the blades and heads well balanced will go 170 knots (195 statute MPH). Doing that low level with a strong tailwind is a real kick. Cars seem real tame in comparison. My 98SS Camaro is supposed to go 160. I cannot verify that as I backed off at 145. It actually felt pretty nice at that speed. This is the first car I have owned that I did not check out the top speed. I had a 69 SS396 Camaro that was at the redline at 132 in fourth gear. I did the 1-800 Be Petty thing at the one mile track at Orlando. Best I could do on those short straights was 128 but it was loads of fun. I did 100 on an old Suzuki X6 Hustler once. I must have been crazy.
Jeff
Old 08-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Skilled

If I don't see 200 km/h on the clock once a day I can't breath properly. That's 120 MPH if my calculations is correct. Did 260 km/h (156 MPH) in a Merc SLK once and flat out in a BMW 333i once. Don't know how fast it was, cause the speedo on this one was out of order. But what a car this was !!

170 knots sounds like a lot of fun. Must try that at least once !! The porsche RSR doesn't sound bad either.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:25 PM

Whoooooosh!

Glad to see some action on this forum for a change!

I always move at internet speed!

Unless my servers are down...

Darn, there's my cell phone ringin'.... :evil

Best

RM

Faster than a Starflight. More powerful than a #14 Attack. Able to leap continents with a single mouse click. Look! Up in the sky! It's a knife. It's a sheath. It's Randall Man! A strange visitor from Mars who came to Earth with powers far beyond those of mortal men. Randall Man - who can change the course of streams of consciousness, bend steel with his bare hands, and who, disguised as ?, mild mannered collector of RMK, fights the unending battle for Truth, Justice and the Humane Way.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:47 PM

All this reminds me of how I got beaten by a girl in a Firebird while she was driving with one hand and eating a hamburger with the other. It was about 2 a.m. A two-lane for each direction. She stood at a red light and as I approached behind her the lights turned green, so I sped up thinking I was gonna pass her in the other lane. But, she wouldn't let me pass! We reached 80mph in a 35mph zone, and we got side-to-side, I looked at her and smiled, she smiled back and waved at me with her hamburger. The street narrowed to a one-lane so I had to give up, dang it! Besides, I had no chance: her engine was bigger than mine.

I managed 120mph on an interstate in my 2.2L, 4-Cyl Accord. Mind you, the Accord is half my age and it was 1500 below the redline at that speed.

Last edited by Sufler; 08-03-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:53 PM

Andries!

Where are you located? Germany!?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Steel Addict

I'm going to take Moose's lead and state my bicycle numbers....... coming off the Blue Ridge Parkway last year near Mount Mitchell there was an down hill run of several miles. Two lane with plenty of curves. There were 100 riders strung out on the hill...... so there was plenty of traffic. When I hit the bottom I checked the max speed on my computer...... 54mph. You pray the tires will hold up. :confused:

In a car..... I had a '69 302 Boss year ago..... it was something north of 125.....

Tags
blade, knife, knives