MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Skilled

Lanyard Question

Hi all,
I'm a newber 3/4-way through my first build.
I purchased an inexpensive "Western Skinner" fixed-blade blank for this (I know, I know, mid-tech goober). I'm almost done and learning as I progress through the steps... and having fun. I'll try stock removal next build but I need to learn the basics of assembly first. Incredible online resource here.
I've done some tang modification to tailor it to my liking. The blank came with three pre-drilled holes. Two for rivets and one for a lanyard.
I plan to put this knife to use once completed (if it is worthy). I've chosen not to include a lanyard on this knife since I don't use lanyards and (in my opinion) thought it would look cleaner without the unnecessary feature.... so I buried that hole instead of drilling it through the scales. A hollow Copper or Brass tube with the correct OD peened-in would have been easy enough. I'm not being lazy, just decided against it.
Is this a knife-making faux pas? I reckon it's ok to do what I want, but... ?

Old 07-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

It's very OK to do what you want. Not all knives need lanyards and it is perfectly OK to cover over that hole if you don't need that feature. Those pre-made blades often come with several extra holes of various types to allow you more flexibility in how you chose to complete the knife ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Skilled

No Faux pas

its your knife make it how YOU want
Old 07-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Skilled

Thumbs up

Good! Thank you gentlemen. I don't think I've screwed it up yet but there is still plenty of opportunity ahead as I near the finish line. Good or bad... I'll probably post it up when I git er done.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:52 AM

Sacre'bleu Miami! You messed up big time and the supplier will be sending out the lanyard police monkeys any day now. You're in so much trouble!

Like everyone else said - your knife and your choice.

You plan to do the sheath yourself? I think there was some threads concerning sheathing "sharp-finger" style knives down in the sheath making section. If you can't find anything, let me know and I'll walk you through a simple safe design.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Skilled

Funny you should mention sheaths.
I ordered a pre-made and received it yesterday. It's nice, but I feel it's
too big for this knife... I can use it for a different knife project in the future. But yeah, I'm definitely interested in sheath making. Figured I'd tackle that a little more down the road though since my plate is still full learning knife assembly. I'll search threads relevant to "sharp-finger" knives as you suggested. I'm not even sure what a sheath should look like for this style of knife.

My first handle attempt on this one was a fail... and I'm glad that I made some mistakes.
I've removed the scales and am now making my own scales from some stabilized Maple that I have on-hand.
The scales I had purchased for it were from an exotic burl wood. The characteristics of that wood made it difficult to work with. It was retaining natural oil, brittle, and somewhat 'spongy' after sanding. The dust was dang near toxic and the wood was generally not a pleasure to work with. After reading other threads on the topic of wood, I'll be ordering my scales from K&G when needed... or making/planing my own scales from pre-stabilized wood that I have.

Last edited by rockhound; 07-10-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 PM

Yeah, saw the pics.....ouch! Realizing it's a bit late, but highly recommend not using pricey exotics for handles, pins or even steel on your first efforts. This is where you are learning and the simpler you keep things the less mistakes you make and the less frustration you experience when you do make them. It's very rare for someone to take their first driving lessons in a Lambraginni (sp?).

On the sheath, the sweeping point is always the main issue. It wants to catch on the way in. Therefore a pouch sheath is usually not suitable. It's safer to have a solid spacer all around the blade portion of the knife. I try to design a sheath so that the knife naturally slides in and out, but care/caution is always necessary with this blade design.
I realize the knife below is a bit smaller than yours, but the principal is the same (only pics I could find in my files). I think you will find that a sheath for this particular style knife will always look a bit "big" if you want it to be a safe carry.
I have done a lot of replacement sheaths for the old Schrade Sharpfingers. The factory design was pretty much a hack job and few ever survived much hard field use.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Last edited by Crex; 12-16-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Skilled

No real loss so far. I'd planned on learning this on the cheap for my first build... less than $20 invested. The blank was $6.51 and the scales were around $10.
I know what you mean about the sheath shape for that blade style. I saw the correct size and shape at KnifeKits.com for around $15 and will probably go for that. I'll eventually partake in sheath-making but don't want to overload... still very much to learn about knife-making and I need to focus on that.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Skilled

...also
very cool micro damascus!!!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:00 PM

Only thing I throw away is the dust in my shopvac and dust collector.........and that goes in my compost pile.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
bee, blade, brass, build, collector, damascus, design, easy, files, handle, knife, knives, made, make, post, project, rivets, scales, sharp, sheath, sheaths, simple, stock removal, tang, throw