MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-18-2001, 10:28 AM
RNickl

Polishing

I don't have a buffer in my shop and just set up a belt grinder last week. Is there anyone out there who uses only there grinder for buffing that can give me some tips? Do crocus belts work? Will cork belts give me a mirror finish?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 12-18-2001, 10:46 AM
Don Cowles

You can get close with just the grinder and specialized belts (cork, for example), but if you want a true mirror polish, you will need a buffer.

There is one other option, and that is a felt bob in a die grinder, to which you apply fine diamond paste. Takes longer, but it does work. I've even gotten a pretty good shine on Talonite using this method.
Old 12-18-2001, 02:07 PM
MJHKNIVES

Like Don said, or you can get buffing wheels and run them on your belt grinder, that is, if the contact wheel is also the drive wheel.I knew a lot of beginning knifemakers that did this.
Old 12-19-2001, 08:58 AM
blckbear

I did something similar to Don's suggestion and that was I bought a Dremel. They come with so many attachments like a buffing wheel. I even went to the local antique car swamp meet and bought some Rouge, this got me by until I was able to get my buffer.

Oh BTW I do have one suggestion if you do try the Dremel I use to use an old flat head screwdriver as a rake until I could afford a real one.

Mike
Old 12-19-2001, 09:22 AM
Geno

I suggest a pawn shop for a bench grinder to make a buffer out of.
I got another one yesterday for 20.00 bucks, ready to go.
1/2 horse power, 3450 rpm, with dual mounts on it.

You can hand rub that finish, but a buffer is MUCH faster.
Pawn shops, garage sales, flea markets, and auctions will help you get a shop a lot quicker than buying each piece new.
Just a hint, Bro.
Old 12-19-2001, 03:32 PM
Navajas

Polishing

Hey Gene, Have you seen or tried the new Buff-It belts and disks from A&H Abrasives?. If anyone out there has,let us know how they work. T.I.A.
Roland