MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Enthusiast

I need smaller kydex rivets

Does anyone know where I can find any smaller rivets than what KnifeKits.com or TexasKnife, Jantz, USAKnifemaker, ect. sells?

The smallest they sell are 3/16. I saw a really cool Kydex sheath that had many extremely small rivets around it. They were tubular, but too small to fit anything through. This allowed for an extremely sleek and profiled sheath.

If a knife making supplier doesn't sell them then what kind of rivets should I be looking for for .080 Kydex?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Master

When I was looking through the rivets at tandy leather they had some 1/8" tube rivets just like what they use with kydex sheaths. I don't know if you have a tandy in your area but any leather supply store should have them. Another option would be the two piece leather rivets with no through hole in them. That might look even better, just an idea.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Steel Addict

You might experiment with peening some small brass or copper pins on both sides. Esecially if you glue it together first. I've also thought about drilling small holes and stitching it together with some sort of thread or even wire.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Enthusiast

Metal99 - Thanks for the advice. I dont have a Tandy around, but I did look on their website. I just didnt know how leather rivets would work on kydex. Im sure they would be OK. Thanks

CB - Thanks for the info. Ima have to try to do that. Ive tried my hand at peening before and it didnt work out to well. Practice I guess is key. thanks.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Master

Offhand I'm not sure where to get them but I do know they are made in both 1/8", and 3/32". The industry usually refers to them as "eyelets" and not "rivets" so you may have better luck searching for them using eyelets as a keyword. The 2 main suppliers to the knife industry are American Tag and Siska.

Keep in mind there are 2 types. The kind commonly used on kydex sheaths set with a smooth finish on each side and are pricier. The more common kind will split in a star shape on one side when you set it..they are cheaper, and weaker(although it may not be an issue on a kydex sheath, I;ve never tested them to see how much weaker they make the sheath).

Old 11-26-2012, 03:03 PM
Enthusiast

AUBE- Thanks so much. That didnt corss my mind to search for Eyelets. I've been searching for "Tubular Rivets" and "Grommets" on Grainger and everywhere else. I appreciate the info.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:41 AM

I bought kydex and Eyelets from Tandy in Saskatoon and found that the eyelets are to short for the kydex.
So gonna order from Knifekits and get the proper stuff.
Only thing I will buy from Tandy is the kydex.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Master

They actually dont charge that much for the kydex hey? Another Stoon knifemaker?

Last edited by metal99; 01-29-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:51 AM

Nope! just a Knife Enthusiast.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Steel Addict

As an additional trick, if you want to do similar with metal you can get a flaring tool and a grommet set and make your own eyelets. Also look up belt rivets, those work pretty #### well and look decent depending on what look you're trying to get at the end.

What I'm getting at is that there are tons of way to make stuff like this work.

Tags
advice, bee, brass, hand, knife, knife making, knifekits.com, knifemaker, kydex, kydex sheath, leather, made, make, make your own, making, pins, rivets, sheath, sheaths, store, supply, what kind