MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Steel Addict

ok, I'll try again

really like the idea of seperating the leatherwork from the kydex.I'm sure that kydex serves a purpose, just haven't figured out what it is yet.I know it won't rot or mildew in real humid conditions like leather can,but it ain't got no soul! Let 'er rip......
Old 12-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Yeah. The two didn't play well together, so I had to separate them...

Until we can find it a friend, I'll be your huckleberry...

How about ...

"A Cold Blooded Killer Don't Need No Soul!"

or...

"Don't try this at home...with leather!"

I've got a hundred more...

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 12-25-2011, 02:38 AM
Steel Addict

Alex

Sorry, no matter how hard I try I just do not like the clear.

Too me the clear looks like someone got in a hurry and put their knife or gun in a ZIP LOCK.

I love the product, I love what it appears to do, I just do not like the clear.

Jeff
Old 12-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Steel Addict

just haven't seen any hand tooled kydex holsters.For those who are to young to remember, back in the 40s and 50s every kid played with capguns.Heaven forbid they would attempt to do that today, course they have their e-pods, i-pods and pods , gameboys and such, and you can't get them out of the house.Back then,cowboys and indians were the game to play...we never were pc enuff to call it cowboys and native americans.

Anyway, some of those holster sets were made out of real leather and were beautiful.Then later they became plastic.Kinda like kydex.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:57 AM
Administrator

Hey TW...

I agree with what you're saying...totally!! There is nothing like leather with custom tooling, with polish and shiny ornamentation. And there never will be! The only thing that I would argue is that we're not looking at Kydex and other plastic type materials the right way. We discount them, when we should really embrace and take credit for them. We're the ones that invented them. It seems to me that it should be our mission to develop technologies out of everything that exists. I was raised up on it all, from Gunsmoke to Star Trek.

Believe me, when I get my first spaceship, it's going to have a thermoform 100 inch video screen with a plastic racing keyboard and leather bucket seats with a tooled leather shift knob, just like Leslie had in Forbidden Planet in 1956...

Check out his HOLSTEX? laser gun holster and utility belt pouches!

I can't take any credit for it!

Quote:
Sorry, no matter how hard I try I just do not like the clear.
Too me the clear looks like someone got in a hurry and put their knife or gun in a ZIP LOCK.
I love the product, I love what it appears to do, I just do not like the clear.
Jeff...

Your point is taken. Actually it's not a bad thing that you observed that. That's really what I wanted it to do in one sense. It's developed around the idea that someone may want to see exactly what's behind it. When I dreamed it up for DIY thermoform sheet stock, I saw myself a looking at my gun like it was suspended in thin air.

I was looking for a material that had a performance advantage for locating your weapon or clip outline and then cleanly drawing it in the quickest time. I figured that the better you could see it, the better you could grab it. Of course, the trade-off is that it looks like a purely modern material. I'm going to work on several new clear products over time to help diversify it. These won't be much for show-and-tell, but more for exploring the performance barriers, if you don't like clear.

Me? I like it!

You should see the iron and putter head covers that I'm working on out of it right now. They clip over the club heads with a snap and I can see every club through the material. I'm working on a mount for my laser yardage finder for the outside of my golf bag, too.

I've found that I'm exploring my whole world with it, not just knives and guns. I've even got a picture frame with a glass cover that got broken that I was going to cut some out for and try it. Hey, don't follow me on that, though! I'm doing that because I'm cheap!!!

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 12-26-2011, 05:29 AM
Steel Addict

Alex

Thank you for taking my opinion as just a opinion and not a barrier for discussion, my spelling and grammar is barrier enough.

I think the reason some of us come into forums is to hear different opinions and see different views, That is the only way to learn in my opinion. Listen too others, then go from there.

I do see where the clear could be a benefit for some, Its just not my cup of tea.

As I stated I like the product, just not the clear, However, if you can come up with a Clear and Strong Hook that I can use in Fly Tying I could change my mind.

Remember: (The Only Boundries We Face, Are The Ones That We Make For Ourselves!!!) Jeff Haun

Jeff
Old 12-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Steel Addict

Good posts from both of you guys.I think diversity is the start of new inventions.I also agree that we should use any new resources we can,really liked the golf club thing.Alex, you are a class act to put up with old fahts like me, when you're trying to develop a new tech.Having said that,if I was your caddy,not knowing a driver from a putter,you'd have to cover your clubs with red,green,blue and yellow covers so you could yell....THE RED ONE,DUMMY!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Everything has it's place. For beauty, nothing beats leather. Kydex and related products do well where you need something thin and light that still holds it's shape. Military sheaths are good examples where plastic allows you to mount the connectors used on today's webbing. Kydex is also quite different as an "art form", in that you have to do things differently than with leather in order to make it come out right. (Chris Daigle looked at a sheath I made from kydex and voiced that it desperately needed "sheath love" to make it come out without looking lumpy.)

Kydex can also be used WITH leather. I needed a double hook for an IWB holster and couldn't find one. But a strip of Kydex and a heat gun allowed me to make what I needed in a few seconds. Similarly, I've seen the stuff used inside holster tops as a stiffener and as a liner for sheaths to make them stiff and keep out moisture while still keeping the leather look on the outside.

We have so many guys on here that have posted beautiful leather sheaths and I hope we'll also get to see some folks doing new and exciting things with kydex.

Tags
art, custom, holster, holsters, iron, knife, knives, kydex, leather, leather die, leather tooling, military, mount, plastic, sheath, sheaths, tanning, thermoform