MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > Knives For Sale - Custom

Knives For Sale - Custom Custom Knives for Sale (All Styles). These knives are offered by the individual sellers.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Steel Addict

Hatchet or Camp knife, u decide

Hi All,

This project has been on my mind for a while it started out as a concept knife. I have been trying to blur the line between a camp knife and a bush craft knife or small hatchet and kitchen cleaver. I had this one up before but in looking back I did not like the images of it. They did not show the knife to its full advantage. With the longer handle is now apparent giving a lot more leverage to the blade. Ken

The Specifics:
3/16ths 1095 to a RC of 57-58
Hollow grind on a 10 inch wheel, shaving sharp (arm hair any way)
Mirror finish
Overall length 10 inches
Blade length 6 inches around the curve
Handle is Red Maple 5 ? inches long
3/16ths brass pins
$95 shipped to the lower 48 add another $15 for a Kydex sheath but lets talk about what your requirements are before I make it. Comments are always welcome.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Skilled

Maybe tiny hatchet? The short primary bevel will restrict effectiveness as a slicer and I'm not sure the function of the point near the ricasso. Good unique design... maybe a display piece or self-defense?

Old 03-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Steel Addict

Hi, Thanks for the feedback. I'm sort of feeling "light bush knife" myself. The point behind the ricasso is there because I was looking for a lot of blade length plus if you choke up on the handle you can push straight down to cut. I have no formal training as a knife maker I am self taught so let me ask you a question. This was done on a KMG 10 something I purchased when I stopped forcing other machines to do what they are not meant to. I also have a flat platen for it so I can grind flat but I have trouble keeping the grind uniform and flat. (think slicer here) Is it just technique that I need to acquire or are makers using a jig of some sort? Thanks, Ken
Old 03-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Skilled

Not sure on your KMG question... don't own a belt grinder. I'm still in the stone age and draw-file flat bevels by hand with Nicholson files.
Most here have the belt grinder setup though and I bet someone can help.

Tags
1095, back, bee, bevel, blade, brass, camp knife, cleaver, design, file, files, flat, handle, jig, kmg 10, knife, kydex, kydex sheath, make, project, self-defense, sharp, sheath, stone, tiny