MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association

Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association Dedicated to promoting custom knives and knifemakers.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Guru

New shop has now been blessed

Well, I didn't want to disappoint Rick, so I fired up the forge while Ike was still tossing about his final howls. It actually wasn't until late Saturday afternoon that I got around to doing any "real" work, though. I managed to make it through a forging session without burning the house down, causing a chemical spill or blowing something up.

No,the actual forging went well.....it wasn't until I pulled the BBQ pit out from it's protective shelter in the garage and was cooking dinner in the driveway that fate struck. Well, heat, fire and smoke gets any knifemaker riled up and I just couldn't resist the forge-table full of sharp objects sitting a mere few feet from the BBQ pit. I reached over to pick up my handywork from earlier and neglected to take note of the rare-earth magnet piece attached to the end of the steel knife blank. As I picked it up, due to the magnetic pull it drug a section of steel off the table that had been cut with an abrasive blade and had a 3/8" wide chisel point . Unfortunately, it wasn't strong enough to hang onto it. I saw it falling and heading for my bare foot. It landed chisel point down between my toes. It was just sticking up there leaning against my big toe. I was thinking "Wow...what are the odds of catching a sharp hunk of metal between the toes without getting cut?" Well, I leaned down and grabed the hunk of metal and then saw the blood all in a hurry to cover the concrete under my foot. Yes, under my foot. I didn't realize what happened until I started to take a step and saw my toe gape open. Turns out it came down straight over the big toe, glanced off the thick tendon and pierced the side of the toe...bounced up off the concrete, back out the hole, then came back down between the toes.

Glad I could go ahead and get the first shop incident out of the way in a hurry. I hate the anticipation of waiting for it. So far no problems other than a bit of soreness climbing stairs and a wee bit of infection. The tendon is really sore and still inflamed a bit. It serves as a good reminder not to jack around with sharp stuff, even for a passing moment, when not wearing proper footwear.

So who's up for a hammer-in in October?

Old 09-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Just got power back on - don't know for how long. (Thanks, Ike, you ....) Fortunately, power is also out at work, so I've been able to stay at home and clean up.

I hate to say this, but that's funny, Don!! At least we know that you make really, really sharp pointed knives!!

Hopefully by October we'll have enough gas to get to Katy! We drove up to College Station day before yesterday to buy groceries and get some gas. It's the closest town near here with stable electricity. They are just now re-stocking a few stores around here.

I got a present in the mail: Sandy Morrissey sent me a pair of leather stamps he made. They are AWESOME!

Old 09-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Guru

Yeah...anything I can walk away from i think is kinda funny afterwards. It was certainly interesting. This wasn't a knife...it was just some scrap i cut off the edges of a D2 knife blank!

Grocery stores are stocked pretty well here now. Half of Katy still doesn't have power. We're actually between Katy and Houston here, so I gues we're not considered "critical need". If you come out here, gas is down to 3.31/gal with only a five minute wait.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Registered

did you use superglue to put it back together Don?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:52 PM
Skilled

Hey Don,

It's not a not a knife shop until there's blood on the floor! Come to think of it...I guess that makes my den a knife shop too! ;~)

Still have the scar.

chiger,
Old 09-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Guru

Superglue stings...I'm old school, I cut some strips out of a band aid and made my own butterflies. Skin is healing well, but dang the tendon still smarts going up and down stairs!

If bloody floors makes a knife shop, I really can't think of a room that wouldn't qualify.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:51 AM
Skilled

A new shop is like a new car get the first scratch out of the way and its smooth sailing from there. My first "scratch" was a off placed hit while forging and a subsequent flying blade towards my propane tank that had to be batted out of the air. Ah memories
Old 02-14-2015, 09:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Years ago, I sliced the edge off my thumb on the band saw. I hit the end against the blade, it glanced off the bone, and came down the side of the bone.

That taught me not to get my hands too close to the blade.

I pushed the skin back into position and my wife tied it up. It healed up fine, but I got some more blood in the shop.

Last edited by Don Robinson; 02-14-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Forrest blades are just about the best table saw blades there are. And they go through bone in a fraction of a second. I remember the doctor holding up my xray and saying, "Wow, I've never seen one like this before."

They gave me a plastic splint to protect the bandage, but it was really uncomfortable. So I modified it and it worked great. When I showed the doctor, he asked how I did that. "On the bandsaw." He said, "You're still working with power saws?"

Tags
band saw, blade, blades, block, bone, edge, forge, forging, home, knife, knives, plastic, scratch, shop