MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2020, 05:39 AM

Man, there's nothing like "lighting" up a kid's mind to the fact that they can actually do things with their hands (and not need a charging cord). You can see it in their eyes and faces when things click. They are so much easier to teach, because they don't have the strength or the attitude to wail away with reckless abandon like an older "adult" male thinks is necessary because he saw it on TV. But when they actually see something useful take shape the game is on. I usually start them out with a simple hook or scratch awl, then move them on to a simple small blacksmith knife. This usually culls the want to's from the don't really want to's.
Yes I've been truly blessed with skills I can share, the Lord has been good to me in so many things. Yeah He's had to knock me around pretty often over the past 71 years to keep me on track, got plenty of scars to show for it.
Example:
Had two sisters from a missionary family on furlough from Bolivia - 7 and 9, come to one of my hammer-ins. They both made several hooks and then a couple of knives each. Were very excited to learn, their dad took notes and pics on how my travel forge and tools were made and set up. Two years later they came back - planned their furlough around the Trackrock dates. Tremendous improvement in their forging skills were evident - they'd been teaching the locals in their village how to forge simple work knives and other tools like spoons and scribes, etc. Last email I got from them this past spring indicated they are still going strong and asked for future Trackrock dates. I hope to see them again. Almost made me cry, beautiful young ladies paying it forward.

Being able to get a fire going under any condition is an extremely valuable tool. Building a good fire is a skill that befuddles many folks. No accellerant or lighter and they are lost. I learned early from my grandmother, dad and being in Scouts (no I wasn't abused). If you haven't tried one, look up "Swedish Log". While you are cutting up some logs for firewood, make a couple. Easy with a chainsaw. If you cut it up right it just takes one little finger candle to make a nice campfire you can cook over and enjoy all contained in one stump. Makes a lot of sense once you see it work. I always keep several dried out and ready at the cabin for that evening on the deck kickback.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
a, abs, arizona, art, back, blade, ca, craft, demo, dust, fac, forging, how to, interesting, knife, knife making, knifemaking, make, makers, materials, post, primitive, search engines, shop, tribal