MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 01-24-2004, 04:34 PM

Lightbulb Shop Questions

Hello All:

I'm getting my garage wired for my shop this Monday and I have a few questions for you guys.

1. What is a good height for a workbench?

2. Would you have outlets wired to be above the bench or below the bench?

3. What would be your ideal number of 240v outlets that you would have installed?

4. What size of exhaust fan should I look for?

My Garage that I'm using is 25' x 25'.

Thanks in advance for all the great input that I'm sure I'll be getting.

Bob Jensen
Old 01-24-2004, 06:16 PM
Master

Hello Bob. I am 5'6" tall and my benches are regular counter height of 32" and 24" deep. I find this very suitable. I have four 220 outlets. One for a big heater, two for grinders (but I'm now back to variable speeds so am using 110) and one I was going to use for a heat treat oven. I have eight wall outlets at five or six inches above the counters and three 110 outlets in the ceiling running lengthwise and about ceter in my shop. I have three band saws I operate with these. I have twelve double tube four foot florecent fixtures for light and also use seven other The florescent tubes that are above work beches are about 16' from the walls. I do have an exhaust fan which has a good air moving capacity but I don't know its size in cu. ft. per min. it moves. It is 10" across and has adjustable louvers. I also have an old furnace fan outside with p.v.c. piping to my grinders and buffing wheel machine When I start this macine up I must have a window or the louvers on the exhaust fan open without the fan running of course, or it will create a vacuum almost immediately in the room. My shop is about 14" by 24' I hope this helps some. Frank

Old 01-24-2004, 09:44 PM
RIP 11-09-2011

Hello Bob,
Belt height would be a good rule for the bench, the real issue is finding the proper height stool to work on.Comfortable produces best work and more fun.
I have two welders on 220(Tig and stick),a spot welder, a 20 ton press, two grinders, all on 220,My next compressor will probably be 220 also.
Plugs above the shelf allows cords to get intangled with your work.I have some that tie up together, but they don't travel far.
These are dremel type tools for handy access.
My drill presses and buffers plug into the bench itself, where cords are safely tucked away.
My mill and lathe connections hang down from the ceiling, as does my air connections.
I'm blessed to live in Texas where my ventilation consists of many fans and the big doors.
I'm glad he brought up lights too.
Lighting is crucial in the shop.
I use flourecents, incondecent bulbs, and halogen lights to get various lighting conditions.
Some light types work better than others for different things.
Two other issues we need to discuss about a new shop.
Safety, like fire extinguishers and such.
And don't forget the music needed to create the atmosphere.
Now is the best time to think about the accustics involved
:cool: :confused:
YES!, and next we can talk TOOLS!
boy oh boy this is gonna be fun.Another one from scratch.
Another Big Boy's playground AAAhhhhh!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2004, 11:33 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to Ron Claiborne Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Claiborne
Man Shops are all different I work in a 25x25 shop I have 220 for compressor, milling machine.surface grinder,2 welders separate 220 breaker 50 amp all other 220 runs on 20 amps have 4 gang boxes with 4 plugs each up about 8" above bench most are full the other bench is a set down bench where I have hand work and put things together I create a lot of dust so large fan is needed ,Darren Ellis helped me install it its 48in to big for one person to handle but boy what a difference no smoke dust is lower in the summer one can run forge all day and stay comfortable.
not so before the big fan they were times that the shop got to over 11o ---nice cool breeze.
lighting was bad also ==so went to lowes got the high output
110 watt florescent bulbs each yes they make one -- 2 bulb fixture I can see now im getting 2 more taking out low output fixtures.
im under a welding hood a lot so need good lighting music ==boom box with classic on 24-7 some times rock
small 110 cooler foe drinks
shucks I have the perfect shop cool music cool drinks cool breeze
bright lights what else could one need ,
o ya some one to clean it every now and then
ps cell phones get fride in shop with magnetic chucks and welders i have had mine replaced 10 times im working on a nuke free place for it
hope this helps some but just to let you know you never have all the shop u need

Old 01-25-2004, 12:25 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
WHAT????
Bowie........ you put lights in your cave??

Oh well I guess progres reaches us all

God Bless

Mike

Old 01-25-2004, 05:49 AM
Skilled

I am remodelling my shop now and am adding more electrical outlets, one every three feet or so along the walls and two power bars tacked on the front edge of the workbench just below the lip giving me 12 outlets at the main bench, a lot more than I need usually but I find it helpful to leave power tools plugged in until I clear up at the end of the session.

Lighting is what I am always short of, you can neve have enough...been thinking of adding another fluorescent light under the bottom of the bench to help me find those little things that always end up on the floor.

Old 01-25-2004, 10:36 AM

Hey Guys:

Thanks for all the great response. Your answers sure have helped me. I'll try to take some before and after pics and let you all see how my project is coming along.

I'm fairly new to knifemaking and have been getting some great coaching from Mastersmith Bruce Bump in Walla Walla, WA. He has helped me a great deal and I figured I might as well learn from one of the best.

Thanks again and I hope to be posting more in the future as I get going with something that I've wanted to do for a long time.

Bob Jensen

Tags
blade, forge