MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:54 PM
Guru

Shoot I'm old enough to be a grandpa.

I still use an angle grinder for profiling and starting my bevel. I also hold the sharpening stone in my left hand and sharpen knives that way as that is the way I learned. Also easier to keep the point on my blade. I do my plunge lines with the angle grinder and I do OK. Made an Arkansas toothpick out of 1/4 1084 that way. Finished on a 1x42 belt sander and by hand with sandpaper taped to a piece of 10x1.5 Dymondwood. Didn't take as long as you might think. But I've been grinding with an angle grinder since the 70s when they first came out with the 4 1/2" size, before that we used the big ole Milwaukee grinder and that heavy thing would tucker you out.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast

This is the machine I can start using in a few day's. If you look closely you can see the belt running flat and horizontal at the top of the machine. Although the backing of the belt is wider then the belt itself I might be able to grind a bevel on the top part of the machine (where the belt runs horizontal and flat). Not entirely sure though if the wheel part is more practical for knife grinding because there is nothing besides the belt. It obviously gives me more room for maneuvering. I don't know how often I can use it. It might therefore not be very practical to be learning on this machine. This is the biggest problem I have to use this machine actually. I like to have my own knife makers belt grinder and learn it on that It's hard though if you live in an appartment in a city... cry cry.. I am looking for solutions though. Maybe a fellow knifemaker that I can share a grinder with who lives in a place where noise is no problem.

What are your thoughts when you see this grinder?

Last edited by shiny; 08-29-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:41 AM
Guru

jim I give a lot credit to using the angle grinder I have a 4 1/2 in one I used for cutting profiles before I got the bandsaw. I tried to put in bevels with it it came out soooo bad I was horrible with that

shiny I started with a 4x36 with a disc grinder attached and the main part I had a problem with is the belt would only track over to the edge of the machiene on one side it was a real pain...that pic you posted if you could track the belt to the edge on the flat would be ok. using the wheel if the flat wont track to the edge would deffinitly be a option all the blades would have a hollow grind tho....I found hollow grinding MUCH MUCH harder to do than a flat grind. I still am bad at it even with a lot of practice, I have a hollow jig and I can use that to put the bevel in then I do the finishing without it, I am getting better at it without the jig but very slowly that's just me some people find it no harder than flat grinding
Old 08-29-2016, 10:15 AM
Enthusiast

yeah that's the problem, I don't really want to hollow grind every single knife. It depends on how hollow it is, but those blades can be a pain to keep harp with a waterstone (which I do like to use). It is very easy to scratch the blade on the stone when sharping by hand. Hollow grinds can give a very nice sharpness though! I also like the look.

I will check if the grinder has the option to track the belt.. will find out soon. Or I might just be filing away till I find a place where I will be able to make noise.

btw. Jim: To make a plunge line with an angle grinder is something you need to have a lot of muscle memory and feeling for. Bravo! I think I am even too old already to be able to acquire that skill..
Old 08-29-2016, 10:28 AM
Guru

Never to old!
Old 08-29-2016, 10:39 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

My first thought when looking at that grinder is that the belt is worn out and it is the wrong grit for starting the bevels on a knife blade. If you won't be allowed to change the belt for a 60 grit ceramic belt then I don't believe I'd bother with that grinder....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-29-2016, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast

Hahah never too old.. so that's no excuse, lol.

Yeah you are totally right Ray that belt is completely worn out... I have asked and they do have 60 grit belts there for me. That's not the problem. Still I will be looking for my own grinder asap. I will maybe have a go and see if I can make a few knives that with that grinder... knives that I finish with a file so I can clean up my mistakes that way. Something new to play with....

Tags
art, back, bee, blade, blades, common, file, flat, full tang, hand, heat, heat treat, knife, knives, making, material, metal, newbie, sand, sanding, scales, sharp, steel, tang, tools