MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-19-2022, 01:05 AM
Master

Re-glue butt splice on belts?

Took out some different belts that had been siting about 4-5 years and the moment they tensioned up, the joint separated. This happened to 3 belts so I'm not happy tossing these ceramic belts into the trash.

Is there a suitable adhesive that can be used?

Old 04-19-2022, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

I seem to recall we had some discussion about that years ago and the results were fairly depressing.

I know exactly how you feel when you take a brand new belt, put it on the grinder, and then have it come flapping off a few seconds later. Dangerous, irritating, and so aggravating to lose the $$ spent on that belt!

Old 04-19-2022, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
It's in your best interest to just trash those belts and buy new ones. It's not worth the risks trying to repair them involves.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 04-19-2022, 01:57 PM
Master

Oh well. I suspect that whole box will yield the same breakage. Thanks for saving me the time of attempting to fix them.

Old 11-05-2022, 05:08 PM
Master

Yesterday I had this episode with some 3M Trizact and Norton Norax structured abrasive belts. Less then 3 minutes of use and separation. Granted some are a bit older so the adhesive has deteriorated over time. OTOH there is a belt dated back in '06 that has worn down that is used for polishing and that splice joint is solid. Pretty unhappy to blow through these new belts and some I flexed the joint to see it lift up easily so about 3 in this group have not even touched metal.

Seems that of what has had separation are the cloth backed belts. What are your experiences among belts that the joint splice fails?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abrasive-belts-November 05, 2022-191240848.jpg (172.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by M&J; 11-05-2022 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-07-2022, 04:35 PM
Master

Spoke with Ryan at Tru Grit and he relayed a one year shelf life typically though 6 months would be optimal. Lesson learned. I have belts with plenty of age that remain useful on the grinders but now days, I will keep this in mind for belt purchases.

Old 12-31-2022, 10:18 PM
Guru

West Systems G Flex

Is permanently flexible and I use it for leather 1x42 belts I haven't had a failure yet. I use 10-12 oz Wickett and Craig leather I skive the ends on my small hand High Tech splitter about an inch and a half.
I clamp with 1/2" blocks to evenly distribute pressure and after glue has set up I skive the belt down to around 7-8 oz and barely a bump is felt if at all. I used to sew after I skived the belts even, but they bumped and wore down the .6mm tiger thread even though I sank the thread with a stitch groover, leather is flexible when pushed against. I suppose using a scribe you could punch holes for a tough thread plus the epoxy. Best time to use on a grinding belt would be before it breaks. Bend and if it splits, glue it.

If it works for leather it should work for a cloth backed abrasive belt, but note, I use it on 4" wheels and I wouldn't recommend small wheel contouring. I use it for knife scales too, but not for h##den tangs, G Flex is more expensive than JB Weld.
Old 12-31-2022, 11:22 PM
Master

Thanks Jim!

I saved the belts so will try this.

Tags
abrasive, adhesive, back, bee, belt, belts, brand, buy, ca, ceramic, ceramic belts, epoxy, glue, grinder, grinding, hand, knife, knife scales, leather, repair, scales, stitch, weld, worth