MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 01-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Skilled

Nearly complete.

Here is one I nearly have complete. 8 Inches overall with 3 1/2 inch blade of 1095 HC steel. Handle is Local Black walnut that I stabilized and the guard I made out of a piece of leaf spring. My first try at this style of knife. I wanted to try one and then if it turned out buy some Damascus and do another a little fancier. Tell me what you think.
Click image for larger version.

Any help or suggestions are welcome. I'm sorta figuring this out on my own. Thanks

Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Steel Addict

looking good, I think you did a great job on the file work.
A couple of things to think about.

Rounding the edges on the knife especialy right up there where the boulsters are, from the pictures it looks like there is a sharp edge there. that could creat "hot spots" while useing the knife.

Also you said that you used leaf spring for your guard, did you anneal it? or did you just use it in it's hardened state? You might want to get some stainless for the guard.
416 is what I use, it is easy to work, and is priced well. you can buy 416 pin stock that is the same as your guard stock, that way your pins will not be visible. Or you can even use brass. Just be sure to peen the pins over and they should expand and fill the hole.

Other then that your fit looks good and your grinds look straight and even.
keep up the good work
Old 01-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Skilled

Thanks for the input. I did soften the edges on the bolster, but I think you are right that they could be rounded more.

The leaf spring was annealed, It was a left over piece from a knife I made from the spring. It was not the best to work with but it was OK. The pins I used were 1/8 inch braising rod because I can get that for 2$ for 3 feet. I did peen it over on both ends. Do you think brass pins would look ok on the silver bolsters?

I did order some 416 1/8 inch round stock for the future.

Thanks again, I'm having a lot of fun learning all this.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:29 AM
Steel Addict

Well that is just a matter of opinion. Me personally I like the pins to blend in and or dissapear when the knife is finished. Some people like the look of brass on stainless, Some don't.

The classic Lovless style bolts have a birds eye look to them and we all know how popular those knives are.

If you think it looks good, then you have your awnser.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Skilled

Looks very nice, esp. the file work. My only (very constructive) criticism would be that I think the filework goes a little too far to the tip, and I'd be worried about weakening the tip.

But it's very attractive.

Last edited by Cthulhu; 01-14-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 AM
Enthusiast

Love this size and very nice filework

Tags
1095, blade, bolsters, brass, damascus, easy, file, file work, guard, handle, hot, image, knife, knives, made, pins, rod, sharp, steel