MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-30-2002, 10:11 AM
DracAmy

Cocobolo

Hello,

Since cocobolo can't be stabalized do you still seal it? I've read about super glue and minwax and others but none of the strings say if it's on cocobolo.

Also, does hedge/osage orange have the same problems? I have a friend who is going to get me some hedge from 2 sources, one from 65 year old fence post that are still harder than a rock and from a tree that was taken down during an ice storm. I assume that the stump material needs to be cut and dried for some time to be usable.

Drac
Old 05-30-2002, 11:37 AM
gmulkey

For cocobolo I prefer to use a hard wax like carnuba that I melt into the wood with a soft buffing wheel. For osage/orange, I send it to Mike Lutemann (WSSI) for stabilizing.

Gary
Old 05-30-2002, 10:39 PM
Raymond Richard

I've had pretty good lucky with Minwax Sanding sealer on both. I've used wax on both also.

Hey Gary, Where you been? Haven't seen you posting anything in a long time. Hope your haven't been sick. Did you give up on the vac or did Bob run that line out to you? Ray
Old 05-31-2002, 09:43 AM
ghostdog

alcohol

I have found that if I wipe cocobolo down with de-natured alcohol I am able to get a finish to stick. My favorite finish on cocobolo is 2 pound shellac, fresh mixed.

ghostdog
Old 05-31-2002, 07:00 PM
Osprey Guy

Re: alcohol

Drac-
Two of my last three knives have cocobolo handles, one of them presentation grade. In each case I sanded them to 600 grit,
then 3 coats of superglue as sealer, sanded again, this time to 1000 grit, and finished with "Renaissance Wax" (awesome stuff).
Not too much, not too little, just the right amount of shine while still retaining that organic feel. They turned out gorgeous!
Dennis

Tags
knives