MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 09-13-2005, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast

Grizzly Grinder Mod belt speed

while i was in the process of putting the variable speed mod on my grinder i realized that there was an easier way to slow down my belt , wich is all i was really looking for.

the principle is very simple , smaller pulley = slower belt (you already knew that ..)
the only problem i ran unto was the length of the neck .. just loosen the bolt and slide it up .. just put one bolt back in .. save the other for later

this is how my grinder turned out.

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, "Give me your best shot. I can take it."
Old 09-15-2005, 10:06 AM
Skilled

Looks like one of those clown bikes with the small wheels. How much slower can you go??

Old 09-15-2005, 10:17 AM
Steel Addict

Dan, can you tell me where you got that smaller wheel?!? I've been struggling with my Grizzly being too fast and that is an outstanding solution!

Thanks in advance,

- Mike

Old 09-15-2005, 11:07 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Routen
Dan, can you tell me where you got that smaller wheel?!? I've been struggling with my Grizzly being too fast and that is an outstanding solution!

Thanks in advance,

- Mike
the wheel is two 1x4" wheels from a machine they tore up at my last job. I used a lathe and cut out a recess for the washers. I had to use bushings on the bore.

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, "Give me your best shot. I can take it."
Old 09-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by markd
Looks like one of those clown bikes with the small wheels. How much slower can you go??
I don't know how that comes out in fps, but it cut dive speed down to 875 rpm. I guess
a 2" wheel might have to be custom made. however there might be casters that would work.

Last edited by dan adams1953; 09-15-2005 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

If the original wheel was 8" and the new wheel is 4" then the belt speed has been cut in half. The rpm however has not changed.

MSC has a good selection of 2" wide rubber coated wheels that are used on heavy dollies. Almost any axle size is available and they are cheap but some modification may be needed to attach them solidly to the motor shaft since these wheels are designed to rotate freely on bearings....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-15-2005, 05:39 PM
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Nice work Dan! Would it be ok if I put the photos of your modification in an album here?
Regards,
Greg
Old 09-16-2005, 12:50 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb6491
Nice work Dan! Would it be ok if I put the photos of your modification in an album here?
Regards,
Greg
yes thats ok
that's a great group

Old 09-16-2005, 05:49 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Boss!
Regards,
Greg
Old 09-16-2005, 06:10 AM
Enthusiast

Dan,
By the way; what do you have attached on the upright (where the platen would be) in the first photo? Sorry I didn't notice that sooner
Regards,
Greg
Old 09-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Skilled

Hey guys. Be careful when running an unknown wheel for the first time. My grinder uses a 10" wheel from Tractor Supply. Luckily, we tested it on a big lathe with a brake.
It ran great up to somewhere just above 1200 rpm. At that point the tire expanded and tried to leave the wheel. If the lathe hadn't been shut down fast, the heavy tire would have been loose at something over 1200 rpm in a small block building with me and a friend. It works great as a shop grinder as long as I don't run it too fast. Picture here
http://elliscustomknifeworks.com/ in the forge gallery. The wheel certianly isn't as goood as a real contact wheel but it was only $15.00.

Matt.....
Old 09-19-2005, 02:08 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb6491
Dan,
By the way; what do you have attached on the upright (where the platen would be) in the first photo? Sorry I didn't notice that sooner
Regards,
Greg
just trying to make a diamond g style platten.

Tags
forge