MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 03-31-2004, 02:52 PM
Registered

My Typhoon Kit Arrived...!

To be honest, I was very unimpressed when I received the kit in a plastic "baggie"... I opened the wrapping, and immediately went for the blade! I was very IMPRESSED with the quality grind, 600 grit finish, degree of sharpness, and the central tang pin. Whoever related that precision was a factor in the Typhoon was definitely spot on. I had the feeling that the rest was very mediocre, until I went to the local hardware store (I live in Italy), and purchased a Torx (sp.?) "screwdriver". They only had the one for the pivot pins, so I had to order the # 6 Torx screwdriver, which was the smallest obtainable from the store...

I purchased the bronze/phosphorous washers and the skeleton template from a store in the U.S., and am still awaiting delivery.
I did assembe the knife in about 20 minutes, and the directions were exceedingly elementary, even for a complete novice like myself. On the small Torx screws, I used the time honored technique of rotating my thumb until the screws were "tight".

I then placed the latch on the same side as the "false edge" of the blade (Batangas? Manila?). It just seemed the most logical setup for this, my first, and definitely not last balisong knife. Instantly I saw what was meant by the word "precision". Wow! This is really a very well made knife once it is slapped together... The weight is very balanced... The knife itself is quite elegant... The manipulation of the handles is so smooth, and this is before proper torquing of the screws, preparation with blue Locktite, etc. I was VERY pleased to saw the least, and learned a lot from the assembly job. It was a real pleasure for me!

I did purchase a 3 mm round file, and after about 20 strokes, got the knife to lock closed and open in a very precise manner, tailor made to what I perceive to be perfection. I paid about $90 in total for the kit, which is quite a bit more than my American counterparts pay. Here in Italy, I paid about $13.00 for the shipping (nationally), and 20% (ouch!) sales tax. Welcome to Europe! Is it worth it? Definitely!!!

I can only imagine what a custom Darrel Ralph balisong is like... From the photos, the finish is exemplary, the handle "artwork" is first class along with its execution; the overall symmetry and attention to detail appears to be excellent. Will I be purchasing a custom DDR in the furure? I am very sure that I will be. Please give me some advice here, guys.

I've seen that many forumites have taken the kit, and brought it to quite high levels of perfection. The basic knife is excellent, so it is just the question of dedicating the time and effort to tweak it to as high as the hobbyists' desires. Some of you have really impressed me, and the knife as you know, is a very precise and effective tool/weapon/work of art.

Mission well done, DDR! Keep these balisong and other kits coming. You're creating a niche in the hobbyist realm as far as I'm concerned, and it is a most rewarding one at that.

Best wishes, and thanks!

Dan
Old 04-01-2004, 12:26 AM
Skilled

I have wanted to get a Typhoon kit for a while, but butterfly knives are prohibited weapons in Canada. Doh
Must be because of all the drive by 'knife'ings.

NT Yard'n Ape McKay

Manu Forti

With a Strong Hand
Old 04-01-2004, 10:39 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to neon007 Send a message via Yahoo to neon007
try using an allen wrench in place of the torx....it works sometimes.

An expert is someone who knows some of the worst mistakes that can be made and how to avoid them.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stoneman
I have wanted to get a Typhoon kit for a while, but butterfly knives are prohibited weapons in Canada. Doh
Must be because of all the drive by 'knife'ings.
Do you have any friends or acquaintances in the good ol USofA? You could buy through them, done it plenty of times myself, once for a Typhoon bali.

Tags
balisong, blade, butterfly knife, knife, knives