MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 12-18-2003, 08:14 AM
Registered

Noobie Question, Tools!

Hi all, I hate to bother such a good group of people with with such low level questions, But I have just decided to quit admiring knives and the like, and take the first few steps in creating my own "shop" to try my hand at making knives. I have been interested in them for years!

I am building my first forge at the moment, (Propane forge - it seemed the easiest, and I found blueprints on how to make one)

Now, I'm looking at grinders, (any suggestions on what a decent quality one would be, I would appreciate it!) I also would like to go ahead and get a torch for heat treating blades once I finaly do manage to make one =) Could someone suggest a few? I know nothing about them, and my biggest fear is spending quite a lot of money (For me at least) and then having to replace things because I bought the wrong items, or items that just wouldn't do.

I have a good line on a nice Vice, and anvil, now I'm just needing tools and the other "big" items before I can give this a go!

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know, My Credit card thanks you! =)

Steven
Old 12-18-2003, 09:49 AM
RIP 11-09-2011

Hello Steven,
First, welcome to CKD.
Every question is valid here.
The only questions we can't answer are the ones that do not get asked.
For Tool matters, we have a forum called Tool Time here, I and Bob Warner host.Bring any tool question you have there.
Also we have a newbie's forum too for beginners starting out.
No matter what level you achieve in knifemaking, CKD is the place to help develope your knowledge and skill levels.
Please take your time and look around. There is also a wealth of info in your search buttons as most topics have been disscussed before in depth.For example, hit the search button and type in "grinders", you can have most questions answered before they even get asked.
It is a wonderful thing to make a knife from scratch, but be warned,You WILL get addicted to it.
And just a side note; If you run into another Steve Johnson here(who has his own forum here), don't tell him you are using his name:confused:
Just kidding!
Steve is a great guy and you will enjoy visiting his collum too.Don't miss it,OK?
Make yourself at home and spend some time digging, you won't be sorry.
Be blessed.
Oh, and bring that grinder thing to Tool Time, we can talk grinders all day.Most will tell you to get in touch with Rob Frink from KMG, he is our grinder guy.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:04 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Hey guys, I'll move this down to the Tool Time forum for you.

Steven, I'm not moving it because you did anything wrong, we just want to get it in an area where you're likey to get more exposure and answers.

Welcome to the CKD Forums.

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 12-18-2003, 01:15 PM
Enthusiast

check the search first

grinders are a topic that comes up a ton.

Use the search button for grinders and you will have about 2 hrs of reading ahead of you.

in a nutshell here is my opinion

3 choices
-homemade
-low level
-mid level
-high end

-homemade - choices are endless, affordable, takes time, need some experience, need motor

-low level: 1x30s, or similar from home depot. Crap for grinding blades. great for some profiling, and handles. Ok for small blades. but belts wear out fast, no power, not good control.

-mid level: grizzly 2x72. Lots of great opinions on this unit. good price point, but still not super cheap. this is the one I want for now.

-high end: burrking, square wheel, KMG, coote. Anyone who sticks with it says they wish they started here. get your check book out.

Tags
forge, knives