MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2016, 06:22 PM
Skilled

Bolster guidance

Personally I think a bolster serves no real function but they look pretty good and I thought I would give one a try on a new blade. So my question is, how far do you go with shaping and finishing before pinning to the blade? Obviously the front has to be finished just like wood scales but do you pin it, rough it in and then epoxy and pin on the wood scales, and then finish it all down? Or do you try to get the bolsters down pretty much finished and then add the scales? Also, do you epoxy and pin the bolsters just like the scales ir is the epoxy necessary?
I've just profiled and ground the blade. I'll heat treat tomorrow but looking at these photos am I on the right track? Thanks in advance for any guidance and advice!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!

Tags
advice, back, blade, bolster, bolsters, brass, drill, epoxy, file, grinding, hammer, handle, heat, heat treat, knife, knives, make, making, material, pinning, pins, scales, sharpening, tang, wood