MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-16-2002, 03:25 PM
Registered

Hand engraving

Hi,
Apologies if this should be in the Fit and Finish forum, but as I'm a complete newbie I thought I'd better start here.
I have a little stainless steel handled folder (Spyderco Harpie) that I'd love to decorate with a little simple hand engraving, just some scroll work or something, nothing too ambitious.
I was at an arms fair a few weeks ago and one stand were selling numerous hand engraving tools, advertised for engraving shotgun locks etc, beautiful tiny chisels and hammers that had a wonderful old world charm about them they were almost displayable themselves. My Harpy has always looked a little plain and I am now tempted to embellish it and wile away the evenings tapping and buffing.
From a laymans view I would guess the knife handles aren't heat treated and would take the engraving? Is it the practice to draw a pattern onto the metal and then engrave over the pattern?
A local search has failed to find any evening classes nearby for this sort of thing, so I'm looking for an on-line source of information, or a good book. Anyone recommend a good site?
Thanks for your time.
Old 06-16-2002, 04:44 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
"The Art of Engraving" by James B. Meek is the best book on the suject that I have read. Read all you can before you make your first cut, and be prepared to spend some time working on brass practice plates.
Old 06-16-2002, 08:47 PM
Skilled

Hi

I have been engraving for many years now. Meek's book is an excellent book. This is the book that I used to learn much of the art. I would suggest that you start out small, buying or making just a few gravers. I make most of the gravers that I use from 1/8" square and round tool steel bits. Probably the most difficult part of engraving is to sharpen your graver. You should practice a lot before you attempt to cut on your knife. As far as layout, I draw my design right on to the gun or knife. If you buff the metal lightly in every direction with 400 or 600 grit paper, you can draw right on the metal with a pencil. You can also use Chinese White or gray spray primer. It removes easily with laquer thinner. Engraving takes a lot of practice so be patient.

Brian

Tags
knife