MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 07-02-2001, 08:09 AM
anvilring

Cow bone bowie with antique style scabbard...

[b] Here's a bowie I did in 5160 to try out "old cow bone found out in the pasture" hafting. Pretty cool stuff save that it chips rather easily. I'm going to try and stableize some in the future and see if it is worth the trouble because I can get a ton of it for free! The scabbard (yet unstitched) is an antique style I found an example of in one of my auction catalogues. Guard is nickle, hand engraved on the back right fast with a #48 flat graver....
Old 07-02-2001, 10:43 AM
ghostdog

Mitch, very nice. The bone looks old. Did you color it a bit? It has a kind of ivory look. The whole package goes together extremly well, very classy.

ghostdog
Old 07-02-2001, 11:11 AM
Don Cowles

Nice indeed, Mitch.
Old 07-02-2001, 12:34 PM
Roger Gregory

Very nice indeed Mitch.

I love a knife with nice clean lines. It has a timeless look to it. Something tells me you won't have that knife for long!

Roger
Old 07-02-2001, 12:49 PM
beknives

WOW !!!!!!! That is awesome Mitch.
I love the color of the handle that you got there.And that engraving on the back of teh guard just ads that little extra touch to dress it up really nice...
A trick that I have learned with the bone is to try and drill all the holes before you shape the handle that way if it does chip out a little you will smooth it out before ading the pins.Also if you have a way to keep it flat against a new piece of wood(just a spot that doesn't have a hole in it where you are coming through with the drill bit) it helps in keeping the piece from splintering.Ivory and horn can do this to you also if you are not careful when drilling the holes.I just let the drill press feed itself through without adding any extra pressure when it is about to go through.It just takes a little practice and then you will like the bone for the handles,and it gices it a nice antique look also.If you would like I will send you a set of scales that have been dyed and stabilized to try.Just send me a email and let me know and I will send you some to try.
Bruce
Old 07-03-2001, 08:42 PM
winstonknives

Hey Bruce,
How about sending me an email so I will have your correct address. I can not seem to get mail to go through to you.

winstonknives@yahoo.com
David
Old 07-04-2001, 11:00 AM
Gary Mulkey

Well Done! I have always liked bone for handle material and you've got a winner here. I especially like what you've done to the guard. You make me want to try my hand at engraving after seeing how nice this looks. Keep up the good work!

Gary
Fall Creek Knifeworks
Old 07-05-2001, 07:16 AM
Sarudien

Thanks to all for the posts..

Gost dog; no it's not color enhanced really except what nature has done for it. This stuff was a dead white before I took off the oxidized outer layers but on down deeper, you come up with this. I bet this bone has laid out for a year or two before I used it.

regards, mitch
Old 07-17-2001, 09:13 PM
William

Re: Thanks to all for the posts..

How thick are the scales and what part did you cut them from?

My father used to dairy farm and now beef farms and I can get A ton of bone but every thing I cut is real thin, ok for pocket knives, not bowies.
Old 07-21-2001, 02:53 AM
ansoknives

Very nice!
Old 07-21-2001, 06:28 AM
anvilring

Greetings all. William: about the only bone worth doing anything with for large knives is the "cannon" bone sometimes called "shin" bone; the lower front leg bone. Don't cut it in half, insted, start by cutting off each end and work tword the middle. I usually just cut out the middle six or so inches then split that for a single pair of scales.

regards, mitch
Old 07-21-2001, 02:23 PM
MJHKNIVES

Great looking Bowie.

Tags
knife, knives