MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2017, 11:37 PM
Guru

Some interesting Farrier supply companies with knife forging in mind.

I was looking at some anvils and came across two companies that sell many things a forge knifemaker could use. One is NC Tool Company in Pleasant Garden, NC near Greensboro. They manufacture their own anvils from cast steel and on Amazon their anvils had 5 star ratings. Their prices for an American made anvil are very good, and I do mean good, starting at $268 for a 70 Lb anvil. They sell forges if you don't want to make your own and parts for them. There website address is:
http://www.nctoolco.com/index.php

The other company is a farrier supplier too, named Anvil Brand in Lexington, Il. They sell the NC Tool Big Face 70 pound anvil cheaper than NC Tool does. They have a larger array of anvils and many other useful things for a knife maker forging. Check out their Hardies. Their web site is:
https://www.anvilbrand.com/

Thought I'd bring them to the community's attention. For forging a knife a medium weight anvil is really all you need. NC Tool pours their own and machines and heat treats them. I worked in a blacksmithing shop for a while and am no expert, but a 70 to 110 lb. anvil properly mounted is pretty much all you need for small parts like knives. Unless you're making swords, knives are small compared to some smithing jobs.

First knife I ever forged from some medium carbon rebar, 1060 approx. It held an edge. I made it on his 100 lb. anvil. Not the beat up one in the pic, he has four up to 250 lbs, I believe he sold the beat up one (got it for next to nothing). But all mounted solid, some on metal stands and some on cut tree trunks (the big ones). BTW, If mounting it on a metal stand, it is best if the feet of the stand sit on some indoor-outdoor carpet if sitting on concrete, trust me, it wants to bounce and on smaller anvils like 50lbs hurts your elbow/wrist after a while from vibration like hitting a cement floor with a baseball bat, but not as acute, sneaks up on you and you wake up with a sore elbow. Just thought I'd add that as my brother now in his 60s can't hammer much anymore.

Tags
blacksmithing, blade, brand, carbon, custom, edge, forge, forged, forging, hammer, heat, knife, knifemaker, knives, made, make your own, making, metal, outdoor, rebar, sell, shop, small, steel, supply