MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Enthusiast

IWB Springfield XD-9

My latest prototype for an IWB holster.

This one is molded for a right hand carry Springfield XD-9.
What do you think?

Comments, Suggestions?

Old 10-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Skilled

Rrobaldo,

Looks like a great start. How does it carry?

a couple of things to think about; I would be a little concerned about the metal clip rubbing against the gun when compressed by pants and a belt. A carry gun is a tool, and expected to endure wear and tear, but we try to avoid it when possible.

Also does the metal clip provide enough linear tension to prevent the holster from coming out when you draw the gun?
I do like the way you molded the stand off for the rivets. You might think about using a single J hook, or the rubber straps with "pull the dot" snaps on a kydex strip.

Alex

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein
Old 10-18-2013, 11:56 PM
Enthusiast

Nice job! The way that I do mine is to leave enough kydex to use for a belt hook on one side and a sweat guard on the other. I also cut a slot into that hook. This allows your holster to hook under the belt, then the belt loop is pulled through the slot. Then you run your belt through the loop. The holster is then locked into place. Your belt will hold the holster down on the draw stroke and the belt loop keeps the whole thing in place. The whole setup is extremely secure. The whole thing has three components.

1. The holster body
2. A Chicago screw
3. Rubber washers for tension/noise reduction.

Take it for what it is... Wish I had pics of one to post. I'll see if my buddy can send a few to post.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:03 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments. PsychoDawg, I like that idea of molding the clip into the holster itself. I use .080 for my holsters & sheaths, is that strong enough for a belt loop?
I figured I'd need .090 or even .125 for a belt clip. The other side of that coin is wouldn't thicker kydex be "TOO THICK" for the holster/sheath?

Alex, I think you hit the nail on the head. My metal clip is mounted WAY to high and definitely rubs the firearm. It also sits the firearm way too low in my waistband.

To solve both problems, I bolted a kydex belt loop upside down where the metal clip was mounted which enabled me to lower the clip, which raised the holster to a better carry position.

Next time I need to mold in the rivet stand-off centered on the barrel about 1/4" below the front of the trigger guard. Also I'm probably going to end up making my own Kydex belt clips.

As you can see, it's a bit of a kludge, but it gives me great "proof of concept", and I've been comfortably wearing it for about a week.

One thing I've grown fond of is with the single clip, I have a very adjustable cant. I can easily reposition the cant of the holster for maximum comfort whether I'm standing or sitting.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Enthusiast

RRobaldo, .080" will do just fine for the belt hook. That's what I always use. Kydex is tough stuff. When used on a holster, there's not much lateral stress put on the hook. It's just there to keep the holster in place on the draw stroke. I've never been a fan of those metal clips. The idea of trying to pull out your pistol when the chips are down is serious business. A holster stuck to the gun could be fatal and there's zero room for failure. Simple is good and fewer parts to come loose or fail is imperative.

As for the rake of the holster, slightly butt forward is my preference. You should see me make a holster! I must take my belt on and off fifty times until it passes all of my inspections. The tension has to be right and It must ride at the correct height. It must also hold the pistol, no matter what, even if you're hanging upside down. Make your holster using lots of trial fitting. You'll find that a good tension for an IWB held in your hand is way too tight when tucked in your belt. Trial and error is the best teacher in this case. Keep after it and you'll have it down in no time!

Tags
art, belt loop, boltaron, concealex, guard, gun, hand, holster, holsters, holstex, injection molding, iwb, knife, kydex, make, metal, molding, post, rivets, sheaths, simple, thermoform