MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Living Legend

Hematite sources

I put up a message on a prospecting forum about buying hematite. Gold prospectors usually just throw it back but a few keep it. This is a great way to get some for smelting without having to buy a large quantity. If anyone is interested let me know and I can hook you up with the prospectors that may have some.

This may be cheaper then buying it from a pottery store. In the post I specified high grade hematite from areas known for good iron content. We may end up with some very good stuff, better then what a pottery store may carry.

Update:
I do have a sample comming to me from Nome AK to look at under the microscope. If it good stuff I will let everyone know.

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 10-09-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Living Legend

I now have two contacts with back sands to sell. If anyone is interested let me know. I am not looking for a commitment just a thumbnail idea who may want some. This is great way to get some good quality smelting sands without having to buy a huge quantity. There are a few businesses that carry it but it is usually in 50+ lbs bags. For someone just starting out or experiementing that is probably too much.

Gold prospectors regard it as a useless byproduct and would be more then happy to be able to make a few pennies selling. They are just like knifemakers in that there is always another toy or gadget that they really need.

I am offering to be a volunteer broker between the buyers and sellers. This is a win-win situation for prospectors and smelters. I will look at the samples under a microscope to make sure it is useable sands first. I still have most of a 50 Lbs bag of it so I do not need anymore for myself but would like to see others be able to get it in small quantities.

So far no one has expressed any interest and I now have three sources. I may just buy some from all three since they are from different regions of the country. it would be cool to have a few knives made from a known source of iron. Each knife would be named according to the areas the iron came from.

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 10-31-2006 at 09:28 PM.

Tags
knives