MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 06-25-2004, 12:03 AM
Registered

making it

i have a question for all you people out there.
how difficult is it to make knifemaking into a business?
I don't mean full time, just part time, you know, breaking even, hopefully coming out in the positive(dollar wise). and what would you suggest to someone who wants to do so? (namely me.)

Old 06-25-2004, 07:53 AM
Steel Addict

Well if you have been here long enough you will know that most of us do not charge enough to cover our labor, so if you want to make a profit this is not the greatest business.

On the opposite end, speaking for myself, I love making knives so much that if I can make enough to cover my costs plus a little more to buy extra supplies I am happy. I'm sure that will need to be changed if I ever go fulltime.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike

Old 06-25-2004, 09:14 AM
Registered

yeah, i know that knifemaking is not the best business, money wise, and i'm not hoping on making lots or anything, just hopefully not losing money. and yes, the enjoyment of making knives definatly is the driving for in the making of them. I was mostly hoping that i could like you said, "make enough to cover my costs plus a little more to buy extra supplies" and i was wondering the best ways to get my knives sold. i was thinking, gun shows, knife shows, selling my knives in stores(gun shops ect). am i on the right track? are there any other things you might sugggest?

Old 06-25-2004, 09:17 AM
Steel Addict

Mainly start around where you work. Many of us started that way and with people you know. These people are more familiar with you and will trust you a little more, and they will most likely give you some good feedback.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Mikey

Old 06-25-2004, 05:21 PM
RIP 11-09-2011

I don't know about advise, but I can share my story.
I started making knives because I wanted to find something that could encompass ALL the skills I had learned, into one craft.
The things I thought I knew had to be re-thought.
Steel is more than a general knowledge, metallurgy is a hobby of mine. I love science.
Handles, is much more than just woodworking I found out.
Leather work, fit and finish, the business, this darned computer, ect... it just wasn't suppose to be part of the fun.
Now I'm trapped.
I (have to) learn this computer to handle business, just as I had to relearn most of what I knew, or thought I knew.
I'm in my third decade of serving this community now, and I'm learning as I go.
Even the things I thought I was doing right, get re-thoutght, that's how we grow.
Unless you want to specialize in everything, you might want to choose another craft. This stuff is not easy to do right.
Anyone can make a knife-and it is a lot of fun.
As soon as you mention the word business, the work begins.
Anyone wanting to start a business as a custom knifemaker, first consider
Proffesionalism-it is more than an attitude.
Quality-a "constant" level of acceptable craftsmanship.
Service- what makes the customer like dealing with you.
Honesty- a way of life that can't be faked.
Then you may consider all the avenues of the business and trade, if you are not willing to sacrifice each of the above, you won't make it in this field.
History prooves a washing effect in this field of artists we call knifemakers.

Today there are(and will soon be many more)videos, books, how to articles,classes, ect...in knifemaking.Learning the craft takes a fraction of the time nowdays, but the dedication still has to be there.

I think I can speak freely concerning the full time guys(because there are not as many as you might think)we generally do this because we have a burning passion inside to create with our hands and minds. In other words we love what we do. It is not a money thing at all. If you can support your hobby, you are blessed.
If you can support yourself, better even yet.
If you can support a family of 7, your certifiably crazy,OK?
Everyday is a hussle, a new challenge,a few victories and a lot of --- woop'ns.
Better than a boss, alarm clock, time clock, disgruntled workers ,and lay-offs, but not nearly as steady as a paycheck. Just some things to think about.

Quality gets you recognized.
Originality sets you apart.
You can get as deep into it as you want, but once the river swoops you up you either sink or swim depending on the amount of determination you have.

Advise? I'll keep it short.
learn all you can, do the best you can, treat people the way you want to be treated if you want to stick around in this game.These are my secrets to longevity-oh ya, and the most important thing of all, learn to emprovise! You will need this as well.
Be blessed,
Old 06-25-2004, 05:40 PM
Living Legend

Great advice, Geno!
Old 06-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Being a knifemaker is being an artist........with all the same working and striving to be noticed. It's not just enough to produce a good knife. Part of each knife that you sell carries with it a part of you, and customers know and recognize this. It takes some time to build and cultivate your reputation within this community, and a very short time to loose that same reputation if you get complacent.
Starting out at gun shows and local stores is a good beginning. You mentioned making money......well, you can, but it's about enough to get you by....after some time spent "paying dues". I robbed from the family checkbook for the first 7-8 years of my knifemaking career, and slowly but surely, it started paying for itself, and then after a few more years it began to make a few dollars here and there. Whatever you do, don't get caught up in the "time is money" issue with knifemaking. If you do, your going to turn out products that are less than the best you can produce, and trust me, people WILL recognize this. In the world of custom knives, that can be the kiss of death, and I have seen it happen to several whom I considered top shelf makers.
Be patient, strive to make each knife better than the last, and guard your reputation will all your tenacity. With some talent and time, things will eventually pay off in more ways than dollars.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 06-26-2004, 09:18 AM
Hall of Famer

Gene put this same message his way, and all of you have made good points.

my advise to you is this.

Don't start knifemaking with the idea of making it your business or income.

The only way you will succeed is if making a good knife is a real passion for you. First you gotta wanna.

I make knives simply because I must do it. A completed knife gives me the greatest pleasure of my life. I enjoy spending all those hours in the shop using all my skills and imagination. Each knife is made to the best of my ability. Money or income has no part in it.

I also get a great bang out of seeing my customer's face as I give him/her their knife. Second best is receiving a glowing email from someone who buys the knife long distance.

If you have the passion, learn all the skills and can make each knife be a personal triumph for you, then the knives will sell themselves. You'll actually come out a little ahead, instead of breaking even.

It would be a mistake to start knifemaking simply to earn money.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast

I have only been at this a short time and can produce a nice knife. I have sold a few and i am happy if it paid for most of the expence. But i do understand that i probobly wont make much of a profit if any. And dont have a problem with this. I consider this all a part of the learning proccess. Not all spare time hobbies have the potential to give you something back money wise. I love the joy and feeling of accomplishment when i make a vision come to life.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:28 PM
Steel Addict

I've been making knives for about 2 yrs now.. and haven't sold any. I don't have the money or time to go to shows (I work weekends) and I just put up my web site. I don't have any friends.. really.. that would buy a knife.

I have decided that IF I don't at least start selling some of my knives that I'm going to give it up.

I can't just keep making knives and having them sit on a shelf.. I have a small book shelf full of knives now.

My wife thinks I'm nuts for doing this in the first place. I love making the knives but I MUST make it at least a useful hobby instead of one where I make a knife..sit it on the shelf where it collects dust and is never used.. and go to the next. If I could sell my knives.. for enough money to buy supplies.. I'd be happy.
Maybe my knives aren't what people want to buy.. I don't know.. I don't know anyone in my area that makes knives and am pretty much a loner so don't have a lot of people to tell me if they like my knives at all.
It will be a sad day when I give it up.. like part of me died.. but I am a realist. I am giving myself a few more months and if I don't sell at least a few knives.. I will have to sell off my equipment.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:46 PM
Skilled

Fsawyer,what is your website url?if i had to support myself on sales ,i would be starving to death right now.i have a website with 3 distinct products and i do several "trade shows" during the summer and fall.recently one of my products recieved a very good review in a magazine with a subscription rate of over 5,000.i have recieved one order and several request for info.not sure how to help you,but have you tried selling one of your knives on the maker's forum?i believe it's free to list it and who knows how many may see it.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Steel Addict

My web site is www.sawyerknives.com

I haven't tried the maker's forum.. because I think it's kinda funny trying to sell knives to other knife makers. Maybe they would buy.. I'm not sure.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:15 PM
Master

Collectors read this forum too, so you might very well be able to sell some here. Also you could try eBay, you might not always get as much as your knives are worth, but it's a good way to get your name out there to prospective customers. One thing you might want to do is put a banner or link to your website in a signature, so people can look at your knives whenever they want, I've heard more then one story of "I clicked on your banner and checked out your site..." that ends in a sold knife. Also, you could try finding a dealer to take your knives to all the shows they go to, so that you get some of the benifit of attending the shows without having to take off work or actually go.

Old 06-29-2004, 11:22 PM
RIP 11-09-2011

Mr. Sawyer,
I can understand your fustration.
I have always said that "making" them was the easy part.
Married men probably shouldn't do this at all. It's hard to explain, but you said it would be like a part of you died. That's where the irony begins.One of those danged if you do and danged if you don't kinda things.
I've tried to quit many times, but I can't.
I'v lost two wives that claim I love knives more than them and it may be true.
My kids say I work too much, they don't understand that this IS my therapy.
If I had to survive on knive sales alone, we all would have starved.
I do several jobs to support this passion.Sometimes it pays and sometimes not, but I love what I do, esspecially these videos we are doing now.(boy oh boy this is fun)
Supplimenting is an easy way to continue, but I wanted to ask you a question.
How can a dusty shelf sell your knives?
They will simply sit there as long as YOU let them.
The real secret to selling knives is to show them off.
If people don't see them, they can't buy them-ever.
You can show and sell them right here on the internet, several ways.
Shows are another way to sell, but not on as big of picture. Shows are actually more to promote the makers.A chance to meet and talk with the artists themselves.
I use to roll a few up in a towel and bring them to work to show off, sold a few and made some more. Finally could afford to do a local gun show and sold a few more.
I thank God I don't do gun shows anymore, just knife shows, but I did not start there.
Today I have a knife business, a cable damascus business, a video production company, my (Center Cross)ministry, ect...But I still do extra work to make ends meet.
Could not do all this without a strong love for the game.
My point is that you have to promote your work if you ever want to sell your work.
Making them is the easy part, yes it is fun, but that fun runs out when momma complains.
"WHEN" you look at knives as money- the work begins.
If it is simply fun, it will stay that way. I'm not saying that it is imposible to make a decent coin doing this, I'm saying don't expect fortune to find you if you hide out in a cave.
I for one would like to see a knife that "can not" sell.
I've seen not so good knives, yet they can be sold.

If you put as much effort into marketing your work as you have learning how to make them, you will eventually get there. I can almost gaurentee it.
Every knife has a worth- it is simply a trick to find the right person to see it.
The feeling you have right now, have been experienced by many of us here too.
Not everyone will become a knifemaker, but before something in you dies, learn!
You coming here was a good start to your learning. Now as you have learned to make knives, learn how to promote them as well.
Everyone here wants you to succeed and will help you, but like your knives, the labor will be yours. I lift you up little brother,God bless!
Old 06-30-2004, 12:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to prometheus
Thumbs up

I look at your website and was imprest . You have a very nice looking knife don't give up thing will just get better. Your knives are nice looking, inexpensive and I am guessing well made these are three things people look for in a usable knife. I know that I don't carry $1500 knife camping with me no matter how well made it is. you have alot of thing going for you don't give up.

William :cool:

Last edited by prometheus; 07-01-2004 at 10:35 PM.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knife making, knives