MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:29 AM
Enthusiast

Just About Got This One Finished Up

This ones a custom-made for a friend of mine. The knife is my design, this is the skeletonized, lightweight version of is. The handle scales are 1/8 6061 aluminium, same for the stop pins, and the blade is 1095 high carbon. The pivots are hand made, running on phosphor bronze bushing and steel pins. Its about 8 inches overall length, little over 4 when folded. The handles scales were painted with an oil-based enamel paint.

Personally, im not too fond of paint on knives, and wouldnt normally paint anything, but this one is for a good friend who doesnt plan on using it for much more then a desk toy, so its something i can get away with. I tried anodizing the scales, but found it to be far too frustrating trying to get the color right and rigging up a way to get them to actually anodize. In the future ill be getting set up to start using something like Cerakote. I just need to get a sandblasting setup, well, set up.

Im really pretty pleased with the way this one turned out. This is the first 'real' version, ive made prototypes in the past to get the design down but this is the first one thats actually ready to leave the shop. The pivot mechanism in particular i really like, even running dry with no lube the action is buttery smooth, barely any friction or drag at all, and theres no real play to the blade. Now i just need to get the latch milled out

Tags
1095, anodizing, art, blade, carbon, custom, design, hand made, handle, handle scales, handles, knife, knives, made, mechanism, pins, pivots, play, scales, shop, steel