MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 02-13-2003, 03:06 PM

Making fluted handle for dagger

Is there anybody out there that has an easy method of putting the spiral flutes in a dagger handle so that they are evenly spaced and have the same spiral from one to the other and end to end? I could probably do it on my CNC lathe at work in a threading cycle with a rapid feedrate but I would rather do it at home in my shop. There must be a simple method for it to look right.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:36 PM

Simple down and dirty method I learned first from Harvey Dean. Al Lawrence from Riverside Machine has a jig made just for that...

http://www.riversidemachine.net/

http://www.howellbladesmith.com

Last edited by Jason G Howell; 02-14-2003 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:54 PM
Hall of Famer

welcome to ckd, lgf.
jason put an extra " in the link - try this

Old 02-14-2003, 07:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
I have heard someone describe taping strings evenly along the top end of a piece of rounded handle material and taping / tying them to some kind of hoop made out of wire or something. Twist the hoop until the strings make the desired twist around the handle and then tape them in place and trace them.

Never tried it though.

jloose.com

Old 02-14-2003, 08:46 AM

fluted handles

Thanks Jason, Wayne and Jonathan,

I saw that neat little tool on Riverside Machine and I would definitely consider buying it in the future but I don't normally make this style of knife and right now it's a one time deal so I will try to do it Jonathan's way this time with wire. Seems simple enough..............Thanks again for your input. See you at the ECCKS show in March
Old 02-14-2003, 08:51 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Jonathon's method was the method used in a knife magazine tutorial (can't remember which magazine) many years ago (probably 8 years ago). Never tried it either, but the basic gist was that you trace the lines, then use a hacksaw to follow the lines (not too deep). Then you use a triangular file to widen the groove, and finally finish up with a round file. Worked pretty good in the tutorial. It also covered putting a twisted wire inlay between the flutes.

Like everything else, I'm sure it takes a lot of practice to get everything even.

Welcome to the CKD.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 02-14-2003, 09:30 AM

fluted handles

Thanks Jamey for your comments - I will definitely try this method and thanks for welcoming me to CKD. I am new to this forum but have been making knives for 22 years. I just finished an "exact" replica of the Iron Mistress Bowie, had PointSeven studios take professional shots of it which were submitted to BLADE and 4 other knife publications. I would like to post it here but I can't seem to find out how to post jpegs. I don't have my own website yet and I think I need a URL address but am confused as to how to do this. I am not great on the PC and probably never will be so I need help. Maybe somebody could shed light on this as well. Thanks.
Lance G. Fisher (LGF)
Old 02-14-2003, 09:56 AM

Welcome, Lance!

Lance,

Chase me a few pictures and I will start you off on you display. Posting pics isn't that hard, but requires a few rules. If you look down in the Computer Center forum there is a tutorial about it. The hardest part is having a website to post from--but another member has seen fit to give you space to do this. You'll read about that there, too.

Welcome again!

Coop coop747@optonline.net

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 02-14-2003, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

RE: Jonathan's method-

Instead of string use soft copper wire. You will need to attach at both ends with tape but won't have to tape along the length as the wire has enough body to keep it's shape as you trace the pattern. I used a very fine tip marker to trace with.
Don't have any pics, but I made a couple of grips out of antler a while back to imitate narwhal tusk and they came out great.
I didn't use a hacksaw, just a new SHARP triangular file and then rounded the edges of the high parts with a narrow flat file. Finished up with sandpaper down to 800 grit.

Hope this helps
Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:22 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Lance,

Be sure to check out the second post in the Computer Center. I have a free image hosting service that I'm only offering to CKD members. You don't need a web site to use it, and it's free!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 02-14-2003, 01:53 PM

Thanks again Jamey,

I have to say that all you guys are awesome!! I never met a bunch of fellas that are willing to help someone that they never met. That's great. I will take you up on your offer.

Lance
Old 02-15-2003, 07:00 AM
Skilled

Talking

Stick around you haven't even scrached the surface yet!!!!

Welcome!

Steve

Fear causes hesitation, hesitation will cause your greatest fear to come true.

Old 02-16-2003, 04:15 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jack OBrien Send a message via Yahoo to Jack OBrien
Hi all
Just another 2 bobs worth here . Instead of using string, wires etc that are fairly firm try a couple of rubber bands You will find that they follow the curve of the handle a lot closer and give a more uniform twist a lot easier
Jack
Old 02-16-2003, 10:32 AM
Steel Addict

No need to fool with strings. Just simply draw yourself a grid on there and connect the dots.
If you want even twist that are one turn in its length just mark off lines that are four equal spaces around it on both ends and four equal spaces on the length. Connect the dots. I use this when doing my gain twist fluting also. I do not know how to post pictures up but you can go to my website and see some gain twist fluting that was done this away.
jf

Old 02-16-2003, 06:55 PM

Jerry

For those folks joining us on this thread.....give us a hint as to where your web sight is....never mind I found it.

www.fisk-knives.com

Thanks Jerry....learn to post pictures. Tim, Ron, Coop,Ospreyguy, and me are running out of things to post.....need some new blood and you certainly fit the mold.

Jim

Tags
blade, knife, knives