MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Steel Addict

Making a drill press out of hand drill

I see in many books hand made drill presses. I see people have taken cord drills and made them into drill press for handles.

I am hoping someone out there has done this and can lend me some suggestions on how to build one. My issue is finding the gears to make it go up and down.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Skilled

Hi remist,
I'm not sure what you're willing to invest to build one but you can purchase one relatively cheap.
Here's a link to a 5-speed press from Harbor Freight which I own. I can attest that it is a very good drill press for the money and suits my needs well for knifemaking. It's only $70: http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed...ess-38119.html

Old 11-30-2012, 12:48 PM

I just did a quick look at McMaster for spur gears and matching rack, it would be like $30 for the cheapest combo that might work (cheapest rack and gear listed). Your half way to a the one linked above (Side Note: Harbor Freight will normaly let you use a 20% coupon on sale items in store and they are easy to come by via Google search).
To build one that has the same accuracy and capability as the HF one (and that?s not all that much) you are looking to spend more and have a lot of time invested.
I would go with the HF one or look on Craigs List and estate type sales for one.
With the holidays coming Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, etc? may even have a deal on one.
On the other hand, if you are thinking of building your own drill press because you think it would be fun or an interesting challenge. Then have at it and I for one would like to see how you make out.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Steel Addict

I agree with all of you. Its good to know the HF drill is ok to use. Ihad that same part # on the pad to loo at.

If figured to make a press half way decent would only save me 15 dollars from the HF cost for a coplete drill press.

Thanks fo slapping some common sense to me.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Skilled

Are you just wanting to drill a few straight holes cheaply until you can afford a drill press. I have a gadget that's handheld that works pretty well and allows you to use a hand held drill. I don't remember what it's called, but I can snap a pic tonight.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Steel Addict

My great grand father built one that used a stiff spring to issue the control of depth on the drill bit used a normal corded drill. I will get a picture of it tomorrow thinking I am going to be using it in the future

Tags
build, building, common, drill, easy, hand, home, how to, knifemaking, made, make, making, press, store, supply