MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:56 AM
Steel Addict

Taking a hiatus, though not by choice

Have to take a break from my knife making trials. After creating 21 blanks, only about half of them can be salvaged into something usable. But that's not why I'm taking a break. I need more income to have a fighting chance in the knife world. Therefore I am going back to furniture refinishing and repair. Luckily, most of the things I used in making knife handles, e.g. - 1 x 30, 4 x 36 sanders, clamps, etc. will help me with furniture as well. So, hopefully over time, as things work themselves out, I will get back into this. Just now with a new roof in progress and lots of spring cleaning, the almighty dollar (or lack of it) is forcing me to choose between my needs and wants.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Steel Addict

Good luck!! Hope to see you back on the grind soon.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:19 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Keith,

I heard a story once about someone who asked a knife maker what he would do if he won a million dollars in the lottery. The knife maker said he would just keep on making knives until the money ran out. For most of us, knife making is not a self supporting hobby. Do what you gotta do. You can still drop into the Chat Room though, that doesn't cost anything....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Steel Addict

I've found when I take breaks that I didn't necessarily want to take, after that first night back in the shop I remember how much I love doing it. Even a couple hours here and there are much appreciated, it's always an enjoyable experience, and usually very stress relieving outlet. I say that to say this...

Just because you can't spend the time you like doing things, being able to break away from the normal and stuff you "have" to do is very rewarding.

Lately I've been doing a lot of leather work for iron workers (belts, tool holders and whatnot) and while it provides some income I don't enjoy it nearly as much as making knives and razors. I try to throw some time in with the steel occasionally regardless of how backed up I am, it always helps me to enjoy any work I get more, as well as making my leather projects for costumers seem less tedious.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:07 PM
Steel Addict

Good luck to you Keith. I know it's tough out there,
Old 02-21-2014, 05:03 PM
Skilled

Good luck sir, I've spent more in the last year than I thought I did, ( my wife is working on my taxes ) she told me I spent $7,000 on knife stuff, I told her I enjoy it and it keeps me out of trouble.

I've sold a hand full of knives but not $7000 worth, it's a hobby for me, and I knew going in I wasn't going to get rich.

Hang in there and I hope you come back to see us.

Kevin
Old 02-21-2014, 07:32 PM
Steel Addict

Yes, I'll drop in from time to time, this is a great bunch. Hopefully I'll get back into it soon!

Old 02-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Steel Addict

Take care Keith and hope to still see you around here and in the chats when you can.

Matthew 6:33 - It's how I seek to live.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Skilled

Yes Keith, we would like you to at least drop in on the Sunday chats once in a while. I'm sure you won't be gone long.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 02-22-2014, 05:42 AM

Guess the addiction didn't quite take. There's always that quiet "Me" time between midnight and 4 am to sneak in a little blade work.
Stay connected Keith and figure ways to sneak in an hour or two here and there.

Can't remember if it was you or someone else who had asked about making a living at knifemaking (at the Guild meeting). I wasn't kidding. It is like making a living at bass fishing........cost a lot, you don't always have to have "Big Fish" (though it helps), you do have consistently put plenty of fish in the boat, and you need to finish in the top six consistently........if you like to eat and break even on everything else + your wife has to have a very good job.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
back, bee, blade, blanks, choose, cleaning, fighting, fishing, grind, hand, hobby, iron, knife, knife making, knifemaking, knives, leather, making, repair, steel, throw