MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 08-21-2013, 03:55 PM

Second slipjoint, fourth knife ever, please critique honestly

Finished up my second slipjoint last night. I'm excited to have a knife I can be proud to carry, instead of my first attempt, which was an abomination of a knife.

Specs:

Steel: 3/32" A2 @ 61 Rc

Heat Treat by Peter's

Covers: Brown Canvas Micarta

Pins/Liners/Bolsters: Nickel Silver

OAL Open: 6.4"

OAL Closed: 3.5"

Bolster to Tip: 2.8"

Plunge to Tip: 2.4"

Thickness: .40"

Hand rubbed 320 grit finishing the blade, 800 inside the liners and buffed on the covers. I need to go back over the handle again though, it looks like.

The edge is .0015" right above the sharpened bevel. I ran it about ten strokes on each side on a very old 400-600 grit silicon carbide stone, then stropped. Very easy to sharpen with that thin edge, even though with its high Rc.

All numbers are rounded to the tenth, that's why they don't quite add up exactly.

I am pretty upset, I think I grabbed a piece of stainless rod for the pins instead of nickel silver. You can see the pivot looks like a different metal entirely. Live and learn. I'll make sure I never do that again!

Bear with me, there's going to be a bunch of pictures. I couldn't get my makeshift photo booth to work, so like McDonalds, you get a bunch of mediocre instead of a little great.

The scuff marks are where I messed up and laid it too flat on the very first stroke sharpening it, not leftover grinding marks. I am not going back and fixing it, because its going to get a lot more dinged up before this is all over. I would never send one out like that though.

Wow, this look horrible close up. The covers look like poop, and the nick is horrible. I'm buying a dovetail cutter for my next one.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Steel Addict

Honestly it looks really good. The only thing I would say is you may be able to adjust your pivot point to get a little larger blade in the handle.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Steel Addict

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/al...pictureid=2418
This is my first slip I ever made. Similar handle shape to yours but with a clip point. Unlike most , I eliminated the kick common on most slip joints and instead put a stop pin much like a liner lock would have. Adjustment was touchy to make sure the blade and spring hit the stop pin at the same time to prevent slop in the action. But it turned out to work really well.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Steel Addict

Nice looking knife.

Tags
back, bevel, blade, bolsters, common, easy, edge, flat, grinding, handle, knife, liner lock, lock, made, make, pivot, rod, sharpening, stainless, stone