MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Skilled

I made some scales today.

I saw a knife in another post with burlap scales, so, I said to myself, they can't be to hard to make.

Now I want to try it with some of my old camo shorts.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Well, apparently it isn't so hard to make. Looks good so far, let's see how it looks on a knife ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
Well, apparently it isn't so hard to make. Looks good so far, let's see how it looks on a knife ...
They might be a little thin for a knife, I thought they would come out a little thicker, I just did the same with some camo shorts, I made sure to add some extra material.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:08 PM
Skilled

A word of advice, the more cotton in the material the better. Polyester and other blends dont absorb the resin as well
Old 01-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
A word of advice, the more cotton in the material the better. Polyester and other blends dont absorb the resin as well
I just tried some cotton shorts, I was bored today and thought that I'd give it a try.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Skilled

I would recommend more resin and laminating the three in to one to make the scales at a minimum of 1/4 to 3/8 thick for a knife handle . make sure the bond good clamp them together when you apply the epoxy / resin .

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Steel Addict

One thing I've noticed is that the burlap alone doesn't really provide enough variance in pattern by itself. I tend to throw in any other random scraps or stuff that I have laying about in quantity to see what I get and if I like it. /opinion.

A few other things, that you may have figured out already.
1. Wax paper is going to cause you no end of problems, the wax will react with the resin, use tinfoil.
2. Clamps!
3. Add in other fabrics or change the orientation of your layers in a repeating pattern.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Steel Addict

When I did mine, I cut enough fabric to make a stack roughly twice as thick as I figured the finished scale should be. I used green cotton and brown burlap. I alternated each fabric, ending with the cotton on top. I saturated each layer and layed it down. I compresed them between two boards with plastic on them. When they were hard, I put them to use. when I sanded off the first layer of cotton....the burlap showed up, looking like a 3D photo of burlap fabric....the pic does it no justice.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakethings View Post
One thing I've noticed is that the burlap alone doesn't really provide enough variance in pattern by itself. I tend to throw in any other random scraps or stuff that I have laying about in quantity to see what I get and if I like it. /opinion.

A few other things, that you may have figured out already.
1. Wax paper is going to cause you no end of problems, the wax will react with the resin, use tinfoil.
2. Clamps!
3. Add in other fabrics or change the orientation of your layers in a repeating pattern.
What I did was, I used a regular trash bag,I stapled it to where 1/2 of it was hanging off of the plywood I was using, then I sprayed some wd-40 on the trash bag, after I got the fabric soaked in resin and layed out I sprayed the part of the hanging bag with more wd-40 and folded it over the top, packed it down real good with my hands, and then clamped it up.

Here's the camo shorts

I sanded them a little on the belt sander.

Last edited by Kevster; 01-14-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Steel Addict

Has anyone when making micarta tried raw wool fiber? Thinking if used correctly it would offer some sweet contrast. Just askIng not trying to hijack the thread.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:41 PM

Keyster. They may be to thin for scales, but you can use them as stack washers for a hidden or through tang. Use a 1 1/4" hole saw without the bit and make up a bunch. It adds great contrast between the guard and any wood handle material.

Good luck
Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgarrison View Post
Keyster. They may be to thin for scales, but you can use them as stack washers for a hidden or through tang. Use a 1 1/4" hole saw without the bit and make up a bunch. It adds great contrast between the guard and any wood handle material.

Good luck
Good idea, I just sent two knives off for heat treat so right now I don't have any steel, I've got some more coming later this week though, it's only 1" wide so I'm thinking of doing a hidden tang, I've never made one before so if anyone has any advice for me my ears are open.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Master

That camo looks pretty sweet I might have to go through my shorts drawer now lol.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal99 View Post
That camo looks pretty sweet I might have to go through my shorts drawer now lol.
Lol, I was trying to line up the stitches and belt loops, I wish I would of instead of laying the pieces flat I would of rolled them up like a fruit roll up, I'm going to try it that way next, also it might look good if you were to add a khaki color with the camo.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Master

That would be awesome!

Tags
advice, apply, awesome, camo, fixed blade, guard, handle, hidden, knife, knife handle, knives, made, make, making, material, micarta, pattern, plastic, post, resin, scales, tang, throw, wax, wood