MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 02-20-2002, 10:45 PM
BenMcDaniel

preparing to build a grinder...

Bob, Gene, or anyone else

I'm slowly gathering up parts and peices to build a 2X72 grinder and have a few questions for ya'll...

first question, is about the contact wheel. Basically from what I've read here, the best thing is to just buy a contact wheel. So my question is what 1 or maybe 2 contact wheels would you choose if you could have only 1 or 2 for now?. due to limited funds. i mean as far as size, and rubber or felt or metal. which size wheel will be the most usable to me, the most versatile for now?

next question, can someone put together a parts list for me, things i should be trying to find, keeping an eye out for, that sort of thing? So far i have a motor(need to find some step pulleys, any suggestions as to where to find them?), some angle iron, and a "axle"(for lack of a better word) about 5 inches in lenght and a 5/8 inch shaft,passes through a housing with bearings ( i think this will be good to use as the drive/contact wheel. contact wheel on one side, drive pulley on the other side is how i invision it) I'm open to suggestions and ideas and what has worked for ya'll??

thanks alot for all the help,
Ben
Old 02-21-2002, 12:03 AM
SIGGI

Ben,

Check out a previous thread "Here's the Grinder" - an AWSOME handmade grinder. Even includes drawing on the second page of posts.

Bob Sigmon
Old 02-21-2002, 01:17 AM
Sylvester

Ben,

You can get a 10" wheel from
grizzly for $60.00 ,not the best
but they work I have been using
one for 3yrs now
Old 02-21-2002, 01:43 PM
MJHKNIVES

Here are a couple of places for contact wheels. Make sure all your measurements are right before ordering.
.www.contactrubber.com/home.htm
www.clarkeroller.com/
Old 02-21-2002, 06:28 PM
Sweany

contact wheels

Check out the shoptalk on the bladeforums, there is a pic of a newly completed 14" contact wheel cut from plywood.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:15 PM
Sam Wereb

Parts and plans

Have a look at www.beaumontmetalworks.com. There, you'll find parts and plans for a well-designed, homemade belt grinder.