MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:13 AM
Steel Addict

Using Bone

I like bone slab handles, but I am becoming a little discouraged. I buy the radial cut bleached bone, but in the process of shaping and mounting the slabs I almost always cut through the enamel into the morrow. I've found it is impossible to get a good finish at that point.

Do you guys who use bone also buy the slab bleached bone from knife suppliers? If so, what is the process you use to shape, mount and polish the bone without going through the smooth outer surface?

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Skilled

On bone you need to do most all of your shaping and thinning fom the bottom or marrow side then when mounted very little is taken off

Old 02-07-2007, 07:14 AM
Steel Addict

I recently came to that conclusion myself, the only problem is the remaining bone is quite thin. I honestly think the bone slabs sold are not all that suitable for handles. Still, I do like this material when done right, and plan on taking another shot at it this weekend. Thanks for your reply.

Dave
Old 02-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Dave,

Like you, I too like the looks of bone handles. . . especially when it get ground to the marrow area. I've found that there are two ways of dealing with this issue. The first is to have the bone stabilized, either by doing it yourself or sending it to someone else, like K&G. The other alternative is to do what I do, and that's to use any of the cyanoacrylate glues, which dry very hard and clear. As a result, you not only strengthen the bone, but since it dries clear it takes on a marevlous finish. Here is just one example of a knife I made using the rib bone from a giraffe.

I fill the marrow area before I mount the bone on the handle, then as it is shaped, I'll add even more of the cyanoacrylate filling any and all exposed holes. I like to dye the bone with some leather dye before shaping, adding more as needed for the desired effect.

I hope all this helps,
-Mike

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Old 02-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks, Mr. Mike

Good info. I haven't used giraffe bone yet, but it looks great.

Dave
Old 02-25-2007, 02:31 AM
Steel Addict

To get around the thin bone problem, I decided to start buying the bleached white bone found in pet stores. They are plentiful, cheap and because they come in blister packs, I can visually inspect them and find the ones I like. The ones I like have a distinct flat spot on one side and a fairly thick cross section in that area. If I even think I may have problems when I start getting to the final shape, I set it aside for another knife. Eventually, you get a good selection of slabs. I too, use the glue for bone. I have also started tinkering with the idea of using colored (white) epoxy on the marrow side, in case I break through accidentally, but haven't tried it yet. After buying slabs from knife supply stores, I've come to the conclusion that they're meant for small folders.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Steel Addict

Pet stores, huh? I'll check it out. Thanks,
Dave
Old 04-04-2007, 12:49 AM
Steel Addict

Mr Mike,
I have some of the bleached bone slabs from a knife supplier.
I would like to know how you dye then with shoe dye. Do you put a light coat of wax on first?
How do you do it?

Thanks for the help,
Dale
Old 04-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orvet
Mr Mike,
I have some of the bleached bone slabs from a knife supplier.
I would like to know how you dye then with shoe dye. Do you put a light coat of wax on first?
How do you do it?

Thanks for the help,
Dale
Hi Dale,

I don't use any wax at all, preferring to just put the stain directly onto the bone. It'll give you pause when you first put it on, as it'll appear to color all of the bone, but as you sand off the surface stain, all that'll be left is the line areas (cracks). You can leave some of the surface area stained if you like, it certainly adds some color and charactor.

I hope this is helpful,
-Mike

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Old 04-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Steel Addict

That is what I was wondering about.
Have you ever tried diluting the stain with alcohol or water, so it isn't as dark?
Thanks tor the help.

Dale
Old 04-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orvet
That is what I was wondering about.
Have you ever tried diluting the stain with alcohol or water, so it isn't as dark?
Thanks tor the help.

Dale
Hi Dale,

Nope, can't say that I have tried diluting the dye. . . it's already pretty thin, at least the stuff I have is any way. Funny enough, even though it looks awful when you first put the dye on the bone, once you start sanding the surface away, it takes on a whole different look. I will actually use three or four different dye colors on one piece just to get a different look.

-Mike

Old 04-08-2007, 01:15 AM
Steel Addict

I an doing some experiments with them. Mixing colors & putting some lemon juice in the dye, because of it's acid content.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the help,
Dale

Tags
knife, knives