MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 04-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Steel Addict

Randalls and Hunting

It?s a long time to hunting season for many of us but not too early to think about it. It would be interesting to see pictures of the Randall that you plan to use as well as the weapon you will use most for hunting. What game will you hunt and what Randall will you use for hunting is your area. If you don't hunt but have a Randall that you use or carry, we would love to hear from you also !!!!

Most of my hunting is for whitetail deer in Alabama and southern Tennessee. Next season I plan to use a Denmark Special, green micarta, brass hilt, brass & black spacers. My primary hunting rifle is a Dakota Model 97 Hunter in 7mm Rem. Mag. with a Burris 3X9X50 scope. Thanks to some help from the Captain, this rifle shoots sub ? in. groups at 100 yards with 160 grain pointed soft points.

Wayne

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2050-F.jpg (91.3 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by crimsontide; 04-20-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Skilled

Tooooooo Many!!!!!!!!!!!

Tide,
Great idea for a thread! God, I wish I could / would post pictures. Maybe I'll send a couple to you, as you seem to have it down pat. As some of you folks may have gathered by observation, I have way, way, tooooo many Randalls that I "use". That's an absolute fact. What some of you may not know is that I also have way, way, tooooo many rifles, shotguns, handguns, bows, muzzle-loaders, etc. for any type of hunting I can plan on doing for at least the next 25-30 years. (Gee: Maybe I should start looking for the weapons to use after that time...maybe I should start right now!!!)
Oh...sorry: I started to drift into another dimension. Back to the thread. Let me concentrate on Crimson Tide's idea...Whitetail deer hunting. I only have 4 rifles that I use for that purpose and 6 or 8 Randalls. I will spare ya'll the long list and move on to the short list.
Absolutely, my "go to" rifle is my "Hill Country" 30-06 bolt-action rifle. Built in New Braunfels, Texas, this Remington #700 action rifle has a lot of whistles and bells, but a good many of them are internal or subtle. It has a Timney trigger, McMillan A-2 camo synthetic stock. 24" Lilja barrel, Conetrol bases and rings (gunner grade and fluted) and a 3-5-10X,by 50mm Fuginon riflescope. The entire package weighs in at just under 9 pounds. No lightweight, but far less than my "Chandler Sniper" which weighs almost 13 1/2 pounds, with a fluted barrel!
The "Hill Country" has a 1-91/2" twist barrel and groups 165-168 grain 30 caliber tips in a 1/4" group at 100 yards, under perfect conditions. (and I do mean "perfect")
My Randall of choice for a good portion of my whitetail hunting is a model #6-4 1/2", with a stainless blade, thumb notches, nickel silver hilt, stag handle, finger grips, compass, and a wrist thong. It gets the nod over several others for no particular reason.
Both of these "tools" have never, under any situation, let me down. To put it in perspective, I have used this configuration of Randall so much that I am on my 3rd sheath!!
I'll try to send some pics. I would also like to see everyone else post up and share their favorite. It doesn't have to be whitetail hunting. It doesn't have to be any kind of hunting as far as I'm concerned. If someone has a favorite "plinker" and "knock-around" Randall, let's hear from ya'll too!
Good thread: Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Attached Images
File Type: jpg COMPLETED 089 X.jpg (66.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Captain 1X.jpg (93.7 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg Captain 2X.jpg (95.2 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Captain 3X.jpg (86.6 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Captain 4X.jpg (83.4 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by crimsontide; 04-20-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Steel Addict

This is a photo of the Captain's model 6's
Wayne

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captain's 6's.jpg (19.5 KB, 118 views)

Old 04-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Skilled

Wayne,
Sorry for the lack of pics of the knives. The photo is of two of the 4 Randall Model #6's (or 7's) that I use. the one clenched in my teeth is a "true" Model #6, actually pulled out of a set of 8 #6, "Steak Knives", and "optioned"-up for me by the shop. I'll try to post some pics of that one, and the other one that I have no pics of over the weekend. I'm "on the road" through Ga., Fl., and Bama for the next couple of days. PLEASE, folks" Let's hear from the rest of ya'. I "know" someone else besides usn's hunts!! Best, Cap

Old 04-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Skilled

Cap, this is one thing I never thought I'd say to YOU but, nice rack!

seuss
Old 04-20-2006, 10:42 PM
Skilled

Thanks, Seuss

Ya' ain't just blowin' Tink's, there bubba! I take that as a total compliment. It's nice to see you are exploring your feminine side, Seuss. I've seen photos of ya'. You're gonna have to do some serious exploration! Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 05-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Steel Addict

Talking

Cpt.

Been thinking about this post at work for the last few days. What else is there to do at work? Work????

I've narrowed my choice down to 4 "go to " rifles. It mainly depends on the weather, and if I'm going to be "beating the brush", or stand hunting. If the weather looks like it is going to be wet or snowy, I'll take either my Browning stainless stalker with BOSS, in 30.06, or Beretta Mato in .280 Remington. Both are tack #######.

If I'm going to be on a stand, and the weather looks decent, I'll use my Kimber 8400 in 270 WSM., or a Weatherby Vanguard VGX in 7MM Remington Mag. They must of not been looking when they put this one togeather. It has Mark V wood on it. Really nice. Needless to say, both of these also shoot very well. My Kimber is topped with a Leupold Vari-X III, the Browning and Weatherby are both topped with a Bushnell Elite 3200. THe Beretta is topped with a leupold Vari-X II.

As you can see, I guess I like the "medium" or middle calibers. I guess I feel that I have plenty of umph to get the job done with any of these. Especially for deer.

Oops, guess I forget, a few more favorites that I have used are a .300 Savage, and 257 Roberts.

I carry the #3-5 (1st Thread knife) as the "go to" knife. I also like to use my #26, Pathfinder. It has a #25 handle on it.

Sorry, don't have a digitial camera (yet) to show some picts. Am working on that.

Now that this is done...I can try to get some work done ...at work tomorrow!

Kent

RKS #109
Old 05-04-2006, 08:20 AM
Skilled

Beretta

Kent,
Thanks for your input. I like the Beretta Mato and have one in 30-06. When you are ready for that "really special Randall" just let me know. We can work a trade and I'll own "2" Berettas". Maybe someone can dig a pic up of the hunting knife from the "building" project and move it over...Hey, Crimsontide! This is "your" thread, you know. (God it's nice not being a moderator).
Good choice for a hunting knife and the wait wasn't that long to get that Randall either...was it? Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Cap,
I think this is the one you wanted posted here. The Hunter from the first building project.
Wayne

Last edited by crimsontide; 05-04-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Steel Addict

Talking

CCS,

Thanks for the offer of "A Very Special Randall". I will keep that in mind. One of my partners at work has a .06 in the Mato. He also loves it. Shoots like Heck! I think that Dakota Arms did the bolt work for the Beretta. Similar to the Dakota model 97.

Wish that they still made them, as they were a well kept secret.

I was going to say that I was digitally impaired, (with a camera), but I thought that moosie or someone else would take it the wrong way, and jump all over it! "That just ain't right" Who said tha we don't have a sense of humor, even though we are N. of the Mason/Dixon line!!!

Thanks for the good thread.

Kent

RKS 109
Old 05-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Skilled

Kent,
Thank Wayne, aka, "Crimson Tide", for the thread. He started it! You are correct. Dakota acton, with Beretta's stock (probably the same stock) and barrel (probably different barrels). I am in the market for a 280 for a "guest" gun. Something to think about. Just think of the rapid delivery you could receive for that Rifle.....Hmmmm..So many weapons: So little time. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 05-04-2006, 04:53 PM

Rifle, knife, and a fanny pack with a canteen is my hunting gear. When I was in better health I would hunt elk in Utah, Colorado or Montana. I carried a Pathfinder but the back spine was ground too flat and it cut my thumb in the cold while gutting game. I let the guide use it and the same thing happened to him. I sold it off on ebay.

My next user was a GTR and it worked good on the elk. I thought a model 25 was the ticket but it was too big for me. So the GTR gets used the most.

My model 8 is my "field" blade when I'm just about in the woods / working.

I used my model 7 the most when deer hunting in the upper pennisula, MI or fishing in Islamorada. I like the thin blade and the stag does not slip with fish slime.

When I went charter boat fishing out of La the model 10 was my cook / food prep knife and double duty fish cleaning. The long blade worked well with the large Red Snapper.

My model 3, 5" is on the shelf next to me, it's my canoe knife. It is a bit too thick for fish or gutting game but a great working blade with superb balance. Yes it gets used alot but it just isn't well suited [the edge is too thick] for cleaning game imo.

I just had my model 16 out this past week. A barge ran aground in the gulf and they needed a dive inspection. Last month, the model 16 went into a storm water line in Lake Monroe. It is what I take when I needed a boost going into those alligator infested waters.

Well I rambled enough. I hope I didn't bore you fellows. I talk more about my other users later. I don't collect anymore. I only buy what I plan to use and use what I buy.
All the best to everyone.

Tags
blade, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives