MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Master

coal forge

ok just lined my forge with some wood ash......if its good enough for tai its good enough for me.... and bought some coal at home depot. my two questions are can i use the big chunks the coal comes in or should i break it up and how do i get it started.....build a fire on top of it or build a fire then add the coal

thanks bill

Old 03-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Guru

You can get coal from Home Depot??

Hammer on!
Old 03-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Master

yep near the charcoal

Old 03-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Skilled

Are you sure it is coal and not charcoal? I have never seen coal at home depot! They don't cater to blacksmiths. Just curious.

Mike
Old 03-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Misternatural?

Considering the high cost of gas and charcoal, coal might come back in fashion. Last time I bought it, 8 years ago, it was about $75 a ton.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Skilled

Tai,

I can only hope as it is near impossible to find here in the Pacific Northwest. The last coal I got here cost me $25.00 for a 50lb bag. I have not tried lump charcoal, was wondering about it do you use it as if it where coal. We have a cash and carry they sell mesquite lump charcoal for $10.00 for 50lb bag.

Mike
Old 03-25-2006, 06:04 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega
yep near the charcoal
Mind posting a pic for us? I'd like to know what to look for, as my HD folks look at me funny when I ask where odd things are.

Hammer on!
Old 03-25-2006, 07:09 PM
Steel Addict

Thumbs up

If you have chunk coal, use a hammer and break it up in small size pieces...about the size of pecans is the size I like to use...good luck and have fun .

Old 03-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Master

no camare but its called chunk coal or something like that, it comes in a cardboard box some pieces are small and others look like a 1/4 log.... any ideas on starting the fire? also in a brake drum forge do i need an ash liner or can i do it without

bill

Old 03-25-2006, 08:04 PM
Steel Addict

To start the coal, I find it easiest to start a small wood fire. Once its going good, keep air flowing on it and add the coal on top. Don't know about the forge thing though, sorry.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Skilled

Paper and pine cones are the way to start the fire. Robert

Old 03-25-2006, 09:19 PM
Skilled

I start mine with 3 pieces of newspaper and some small hardwood sticks I then pile the coal around the kindling I lite the fire then turn on the blower once the kindling is burning well I start to cover with the coal. Just what I do, hope it helps.

Mike
Old 03-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Misternatural?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Turner
Tai,

I can only hope as it is near impossible to find here in the Pacific Northwest. The last coal I got here cost me $25.00 for a 50lb bag. I have not tried lump charcoal, was wondering about it do you use it as if it where coal. We have a cash and carry they sell mesquite lump charcoal for $10.00 for 50lb bag.

Mike
$10 for 50 is a smoking deal!

Charcoal is not used the same as coal. Coal is crushed and mixed with water first. The charcoal just needs to be broken down, into say about the size of a walnut to about the size of an apple. Don't use powder charcoal or giant football sized lumps.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:50 AM
Misternatural?

Quote:
no camare but its called chunk coal or something like that, it comes in a cardboard box some pieces are small and others look like a 1/4 log.... any ideas on starting the fire? also in a brake drum forge do i need an ash liner or can i do it without

bill

If it looks like a log or black wood, it's charcoal. Coal looks like black rock.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Master

Quote:

bill
I don't think you need ash to line a brake drum forge, unless it's a really big one. If you end up going with coal listen to the advice of others here and start the fire with wood. Green coal is a bugger to light. Once you have forged with it and have some coke, it is much easier to light--all you'll need then is some newspaper. Here's a pic of my first forge--made from a brakedrum. No ash liner or anything. Later I welded together the table to fit in the brake drum. This greatly improved it. Good luck. Todd

Tags
forge, forging, knife, knife making