MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 12-13-2004, 04:28 AM
Skilled

The Making of... a Bowie Named "Rampart" by Russ Andrews, JS

This story begins not with a bowie, but with a sweet little walnut-handled hunter that Russ had available at the 2004 Arkansas Custom Knife show in Little Rock.

Walnut has long been just about my favorite premium wood for a knife handle. This classic gunstock wood offers a winning combination of subtle beauty and durability that I find most appealing. Given that I already had a bowie on order with Russ, we decided that the bowie should become its companion piece. This, of course, meant that Russ was going to have to find some more gorgeous walnut for the handle.

This he did, spending the better part of what would no doubt have been a more pleasant Saturday afternoon chopping up a massive walnut root ball into ?smaller? pieces (merely 10 ? 15 lb. each!).

One such chunk would ultimately yield the right piece of wood for my bowie. As Russ explains:

? The walnut came from the top of a root, at the juncture of the root and trunk just below ground level. The curve of the wood in that area allows me to cut following the curve, and have a piece that naturally follows the curve of the handle.?

As for the design of the bowie we had settled upon a big, broad-bladed design with a more dramatic clip than that of the more subtle and understated hunter. Given that the latter would be the team member dedicated to the small-knife tasks, its companion would be rendered as a no-excuses big honkin? bowie. Within that broad framework, the execution of the design was left entirely up to Russ. Here is a look at the blade in the process of being forged to shape:

Further along the process, with the handle material selected and set aside:

And here the blade has taken its final shape:

The execution of the grooved ferrule would be a design cue to link the big bowie to its smaller sibling. Here we see a pair of talented hands filing one segment of the ferrule (there are two which, along with the guard, are fashioned from 416 stainless steel and hardened to approx. 30 Rc.)

The guard itself would be asymmetrical in design and sufficiently broad to visually balance the massive blade. The longer blade-side extension of the guard would be kicked back slightly toward the handle, with the shorter top section curving slightly toward the blade. Here we see all pieces rough-fit together as the knife really begins to take shape:

Part 1 of 2??.

Last edited by RogerP; 12-13-2004 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:30 AM
Skilled

Part 2 of 2?..

I must say that it was particularly enjoyable receiving these pics of the knife at various stages of completion (all photos above are by Russ). Working closely with a maker on a project such as this is one of the very best aspects of this hobby ? though I hasten to add that only one of us was actually doing something that might be described as work.

Having had the opportunity to look at these pics (all too often) over a few months and being very familiar with the exceptional quality Russ? work, I certainly had an idea of what to expect of the finished product. Yet I was still completely blown away when I opened the box:

*** WARNING *** The following paragraph contains a useless anecdote regarding the delivery of the knife. Those who value their time may wish to scroll ahead. ***

Okay, for the rest of us loafers?. I had asked Russ to send the knife via Fed-Ex overnight so I could track it on-line all the way from his door to mine. At 9:17 am the next day, I logged onto the FedEx web site from my office computer and saw the magic phrase ?On Fed-Ex truck for delivery.? I knew from past experience that, given the close proximity of our office building to the downtown Toronto Fed-Ex hub, the knife would be in my hands in an hour or less. At 10:15 am I am rubbing my hands together in eager anticipation ? Oh man ? any minute now! And then?. THE FIRE ALARM GOES OFF!! You have GOT to be kidding me. No fire drills in over a year and they run one TODAY!? NOW??!! Ours is not by far a large building by downtown Toronto standards, but it still takes a good while to shuffle a few thousand over-stuffed muffin-eating desk-jockeys down several flights of stairs ? get them checked in to their designated reporting locations, and back in again with precious-####ed-few using the stairs for the return journey. I fully expected the entry on tracking site to now read ?Delivery attempted ? unsuccessful.? But as is happened, the Fed-Ex people were running a little slow and the knife made it safely in by noon.

******** We now return to out regularly scheduled programming. *******

The knife you see below (and above, and, well, everywhere in this missive) features a 10? long, 2? wide blade of forged W2 with an overall length of 15 ??. It is accompanied by a very well-executed leather sheath with frog button, whose contours closely match the profile of the blade and the curvature of the guard. The sheath is rendered in a rich burnished brown and features tapered welts for a slim profile. Anyone who has had the pleasure of handling an Andrews blade can envision the flawless hand-rubbed satin finish of the blade flats, which contrast nicely with the polished spine and underside of the ricasso.

The wide asymmetrical double-guard together with the stacked, grooved ferrule provides a solid balance to the broad, aggressive blade and a gives a strong visual anchor to this massive bowie. Like the blade, the guard sports a dual finish with the underside satin brushed and the rest mirror polished.

The following view shows more clearly Russ? signature rounded shoulders of the spine and underside of the ricasso. As Russ explains:

? I much prefer grinding past the top on all my hunters and bowies. The intersection of the lines, in combination with a crowned spine gives the back of the blade a strong, carefully thought out, sculpted look. The deeper plunge cuts are also easily visible from the top, and it's really evident whether they're right, or off.? (Note from the author ? they?re right.) ?Aside from the aesthetics, the crowned spine makes it much more comfortable when it's necessary to put the heel of your off hand on the spine for a little more force.?

The handle of this knife is every bit as well-executed as the rest, with subtle contours that provide a secure and very comfortable grip. The images do show the nice figure and colour of this piece of walnut, but utterly fail to display the deep chatoyant effect that this particular piece displays. Ambient light seems to penetrate about a ?? into the wood and swirl around like the most fiery piece of fiddleback maple you ever saw.

Speaking of things that the photos don?t show, it wasn?t until I got the knife home (and had ample time to wave it around all over the place without fear of alarming my colleagues) that I glimpsed what appeared to be a series of smudges running the length of the blade. I had thoroughly cleaned the blade and simply couldn?t accept the possibility of a marred finish on an Andrews knife. When I slowed down and tipped the blade so that the light hit it just so, a wonderfully active, swirly, smokey, whispy hamon was revealed. This is not a very pronounced see-it-from-across-the-room type of hamon and I have absolutely no hope of capturing it with my camera (which would require the talents of a SharpbyCoop which are far beyond the best efforts of FuzzybyRoger). It?s kind of like a private visual delight reserved for the one actually holding the knife.

The careful and intuitive reader will no doubt have managed to discern that I could not be more pleased with this knife. It was an absolute pleasure working with Russ and I very much look forward to our next project. And before I forget, about the name of the knife ? Rampart ? Russ chose this name because he felt this would have been a useful companion during the final hours of the Alamo.

I?ll wrap things up with a shot of the bowie-hunter pair:

Roger Pinnock
Old 12-13-2004, 04:48 AM
Master

Good work

I like that style of big knife and with a great steel sheet; if was mine, he/she would make him a good engraving in the sheet and perhaps a reason of enamel (a bear, an eagle, a tiger.... )
I congratulate him for their work.

Montejano (Spain )

---------------------------

Buen trabajo

Me gusta ese estilo de cuchillo grande y con una gran l?mina de acero ; si fuese m?o , le har?a un buen grabado en la l?mina y tal vez un motivo de esmalte ( un oso , un ?guila , un tigre .... )
Le felicito por su trabajo .

Montejano ( Espa?a )
Old 12-13-2004, 06:00 AM
Steel Addict

Well that is just truly fine, stunningly clean work. Thanks Roger, for the great pics. I always look forward to reading your posts, which are as pleasant to read as the pictures are to look at.

What's another word for synonym?
Old 12-13-2004, 06:25 AM
Steel Addict

Wow! That is a nice looking bowie!

I really enjoyed the story and pictures too. I have thought about taking in progress pictures to give away with the knife. It can make the knife more personal. This was well done.

-Jason
Old 12-13-2004, 06:50 AM

Well, this thread just stole about 15 minutes of my day... so far. And as my day goes, this may be one of the best parts!

Outstanding synopsis and commentary! Russ, thank you for doing the in-progress shots. We love them.

Congrats to a fine pair: Knives, and Maker/Collector.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 12-13-2004, 08:03 AM
Hall of Famer

Great pictorial and story! Beautiful craftsmanship!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 12-13-2004, 08:20 AM
Guru

Fantastic Knife and story, very well done. Gib

Old 12-13-2004, 02:02 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks Roger.

Man, I just love your posts. Great knives, excellent photos, wonderful descriptions. More fun to read than most of the published articles in the major knife rags. I feel like I should pay you for a subscription.

Old 12-13-2004, 02:19 PM
Guru

I can't get enough of looking at either of those knives. You are one lucky guy!! Thank you for sharing the pics and details. What a bowie!!!
Old 12-13-2004, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Ditto to all the comments above!

Old 12-13-2004, 11:42 PM

Roger,
Thanks for going to the trouble to bring us all into the middle of this wonderful project with you. I remember all the Oooos and Ahaaas when you posted a pic of this Andrews hunter some months back. And this bowie is terrific; very thoughtfully designed and executed - high level stuff for sure.

Now for the dumb question: What does chatoyant mean?
BT

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 12-13-2004, 11:49 PM
Skilled

chatoyant [adj] varying in color when seen in different lights or from different angles; "changeable taffeta"; "chatoyant (or shot) silk"; "a dragonfly hovered, vibrating and iridescent"
Old 12-14-2004, 12:58 AM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to JeridJohnson
I always enjoy these posts of yours Roger.. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:44 AM
Skilled

Thanks for all the comments guys - much appreciated. Shakudo, you did a much better job with that definition than I would have. And thanks again to Russ for this terrific set.

Roger

Tags
blade, knife, knives