MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Skilled

selling to friends

I couldn't find anything with the search so I figured I would post the question. I have had numerous friends (some dear, some just acquaintances) inquire as to how much it would cost to make them a knife. I know I'm very green and still developing my techniques so I don't want to overcharge, or on the other hand work for free. I was thinking of charging material cost times a fixed number, does anyone have any suggestions so I can get my work into peoples hands without loosing out on time and materials?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast

One thing I have done with friends or family I didn't want to charge much for a knife is basically have them buy me extra materials: say have them buy enough steel, guard material, and handle material to make a couple of extra knives to sell. The last time I made a hunter for a family member she bought me a length of 1/2" O-1 drill rod, a foot of copper barstock, and a couple of square feet of leather (she had the horn she wanted for the handle). She got a knife that I normally charge $150 for $50 and I got enough materials to make at least 4 more hunters that I could sell for $600 total. I would call that a positive outcome for both. Plus if you screw up (I mean- if you have an unplanned learning opportunity) you have extra to remake something.

Hope that helps
Dave Armour
Old 02-28-2012, 03:01 PM

That is a good point. Good deal if you ask me.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:23 AM
Registered

mohsin

I would post the question. I have had numerous friends (some dear, some just acquaintances) inquire as to how much it would cost to make them a knife. I know I'm very green and still developing my techniques so I don't want to overcharge, or on the other hand work for free.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:10 PM

That's an interesting question.

I have a worksheet which I use to nail down all of the options, materials, knife design, embellishment, etc. It is itemized with labor and materials. In 2005, I charged $5 per hour, as I was new and still learning the basics. I charged 1 hour per each inch of the knife. Embellishments and complex grinding like swedges, daggers, etc, would add a few hours.

I increased my rate by one dollar per hour every year (to coincide with the year, i.e., 2009 was $9 per hour) until I stepped away from knifemaking in 2011. Now that I am back, I have been using a similar method and rounding down to what seems like a good number.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 09-23-2014, 07:58 AM
Skilled

Sad to say pricing knives is probably the most difficult thing I have come across since I started making knives. I learned another valuable lesson this week, when quoting prices to someone who has a high status profession you should take that into account. My chiropractor noticed me always carrying one of my knives and eventually asked about it. one thing led to another and he asked me to make him one. After describing what he wanted I quoted him a price, his response shocked the hell out of me.

"wow that's cheap, I'll take two"

He is definitely someone I want to be in my frequent buyers club.

Tags
back, bee, daggers, design, grinding, guard, hand, handle, horn, hunter, knife, knifemaking, knives, leather, make, making, material, materials, post, steel