MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Damascus Forum

The Damascus Forum The art and study of Damascus steel making.

Old 02-23-2005, 09:37 PM
Steel Addict

mosaic help please

i have been searching the web high and low trying to obtain a basic knowlege on how to
create the spider web effect in mosaic slices, several makers seem to produce this pattern
i understand everything about this process except the the pattern, can anyone give me a hint, or give me a link or suggest a book or something? seems to be very little on the net
covering the process of can damascus, i know ed caffrey is coming out with a tape in the future and looking forward to it thanks for any advice bruce

Old 02-23-2005, 11:54 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to Ron Claiborne Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Claiborne
Start out with 1/4 in thick pieces and thin nickel ?10 will give you a little over 2 ? high and use 11/2 ? wide
The 2 ? ? reducing to the 1 ?" as you do this the 1 ? ? will try to get wider keep it to the size that you started with till you have it square at 1 ?" `s fold like building the w about 5 times or check to see if it looks like squares /.on the end
Place under the v Dies and radial the billet
to radial is to cut a bar down the middle a set of v dies one on top one on the bottom when this is done it make the pattern bend to the middle at the v`s leaving the outside about the same .when this is done looking at the end of the billet it will look like a butterfly wings ,cut the billet in half ,you know have 4 peace`s that are long but the ends are a triangle shape , grind side clean of slags place the peace`s back together building a square , tack weld these peace`s on the ends to hold in place -weld this back up with a set of squaring dies now looking at the end of the billet you have the spider web look you can at this time cut it to tile it or accordion it or stack it you also can progress it but you have one way. They are others .
Start with 4 peace of steel ?? x ?? place a thin peace of nickle in the middle like a cross
progress this each time you re-stack it grind the sides place nickle in it keep going till you have 16 squares this should happen in the first re-stack , then follow the radial process
another way is to place in a can the point is to get the square welded and radial
if you know a way I would be glade to hear it but its easer than I have made it sound ,
its late i may read this tomorrow and fall out , just so you will know , the trick is getting the spider and fly on the web that can be done too but not tonight if we can keep you thinking you will come up with great patterns
Bowie 15 day Damascus free but weakening

Last edited by Ron Claiborne; 02-24-2005 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:50 PM
Steel Addict

thanks bowie

i just thought, i understood most of this process i was way off base but now i feel more comfortable and will begin my first attempt of this pattern in the morning, im not 100%
sure about the phrase accordion it could you clearify? thanks for your help
and bowie i cant wait till i get my yeller press. bruce

Old 02-26-2005, 12:05 AM
Skilled

accordian

Caffrey knives
Old 02-26-2005, 06:45 AM
Steel Addict

accordion

thanks shakudo, i get it- i will post a photo of my finished product seems like
there should be more on line refreneces to this process kinda feel like im missing something how does everyone else learn this? just trial and error? bruce

Old 03-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Skilled

Question How to?

Hy, i?m from Brazil and as many knifemaniacs in world, i love the beauty of the damascus.

I?m not a mastersmith but i doing some knives and i have a question:

In Ed Caffrey page, the bar from where the accordian was cuted is done plain?

like __________
.... __________
.... __________

From the accordian, what do i do to get the w pattern?

Excuse me for the poor english.

Mauro.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Steel Addict

dont hold your breath

dont hold your breath for those pics, we run into a few kinks still trying to figure them out
i have the same question as Mauro and also missed in translation how ron explains cutting
the billet V cut down the middle and having 4 pieces?any hints would be appreciated
thanks bb

Old 03-02-2005, 01:52 AM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to Ron Claiborne Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Claiborne
Sorry I did not make that very clear . And I know every time I try explaning a process I created more questions , its me not you guys I must apologize for my poor wording in the typed word format
If I could I would like or for that matter love telling all that I know (Which is not much ) Nor would it take very long . But I do know a few way to skin a cat .
Learning to form patterns in steel is like every thing we do . first we need to learn the terms and what they mean to be able to understand each other well
and the learning is long term the process can change from one maker to the next learning to read a pattern you need a reversing mind set to unravel it some times .

I would like to invite you to join pall talk ? a free program with real time talk just like a phone ot text both are used we can transfer pictures in real time easy and fast, a group of us meet there each night to unwind the days work what we are doing , help each other in different ways to do things just like here except it all in real time ,and I can speak not type some have found talking to me is a lot better than trying to unwind my spelling ,

if it has to do with knives we talk about it so join us if you will
down load paltalk go to miscellaneous rooms then to ( A custom Knifemakers chat group )

We have some really great minds over there , they let me in because they feel sorry for me .
Hope to see you there.
when you inter the room introduce yourself with the name we will most likely recognize
tell where you live? what part of the country and that you are a knife maker and that you have been invited .all are invited you will be welcomed .AND ITS FREE
Bowie

Last edited by Ron Claiborne; 03-02-2005 at 02:03 AM.

Tags
knives