MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 12-06-2001, 03:30 PM
JossDelage

Drill presses and bench drill presses

Hi all,

First, thanks a lot to all of you. I am definitely getting my $$$ worth out of those forums.

I am looking for some info on drill presses. Which ones are the best value? As a beginner and hobbyist, I can't really justify spending the money for a full size drill press (plus, I wouldn't know where to put it.) I agree with the whole "there are no cheap tools", etc, but I just can't spend more than $200 to $300 on that best case.

I am very interested in the small bench-top drill presses, that seem to be a good hobbyist's tool. They typically have the following characteristics:
Height: 8 to 12 inches
5 speed 620 to 3100
1/4 to 1/3 or 2/5 HP
Here are 2 examples:
- www.amazon.com/exec/obido...B0000223B1
- cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayI...1306659393

What do you think? What would people recommend?

Many thanks again,

JD
Old 12-06-2001, 03:34 PM
JossDelage

By the way, I want to be able to drill scales and tangs, but also larger size damascus billets, etc...

Thanks,

JD
Old 12-06-2001, 04:02 PM
sjaqua

This isn't exactly what you asked, but, besides budget you list the unit size as being an issue.

In terms of both size and budget, I have found an unbeatable machine for the small shop. I use a Shopsmith. In one machine, you get the a drill press, table saw, 12" disk sander, drum sander, wood lathe and horizontle borning machine. It takes up about as much space a good sized table saw. And while it's pricey, it's a whole lot cheaper then the three or four machines a bland makers shop should have.

Scott B. Jaqua
Old 12-06-2001, 04:14 PM
ATFAB

I may be new to knife making but I do have lots of experience with equipment in general.

That $39 one will prop open a heavy door just fine, the motor can double as a fire starter when drilling a 1/4" hole in 1" pine and the hole will be oversize because of the loose spindle. Plastic depth-stop *** I have one a friend bought in the garage, collects dust well, enough said?

The Delta at least is known as reasonable company, save the shipping charges and have Home Depot order you one.

I find lots of good used stuff at tag sales and the local HUGE flea market, but I can fix almost anything if needed. I also keep in touch with my mechanic/industrial friends for things. My major problem (after having the cash and a truck to haul it in) is paying for all the accessories each new addition needs.

Good luck
Old 12-06-2001, 07:06 PM
Geno

I have several presses set up.(I do mostly folders)
The little ones can do a lot, but you need one good one for the precision work.
Check the spindle for play.
Check the run out(fully extended)
Squareness is a must. check the table to spindle w/ a square.
HP is costly.Get the most for what you have to work with.
I shop pawn shops often for deals.
Old 12-07-2001, 12:01 AM
BCB27

I think you will find that most drill presses on the market are made by the same company from China. This includes HF, Grizzly, Jet, and Delta, among others. I may be wrong, but they seem to have the same specifications and, except for the markings, look identical.
Geno is right, the most important aspects are spindle play, runout, etc.

Brett
Old 12-07-2001, 12:40 AM
MIKE KOLLER

Brett,
you are correct many drill presses do look like the Delta,that is because the other companies made direct cast off of Delta's stuff.Many have the same serial no.as Delta's :\

Two things i would consider is spindle and height ,once you put a vise on the table you are going to cut that down and limit yourself to the size of material you can use without removing the vise every time.

Also those with the crank to adjust table are sweet and a heck of alot more precise then the other.
Old 12-07-2001, 11:45 AM
JossDelage

Grizzly?

Are there product reputable? There's one that seem to be exactly what I would need:
3/4HP
Crank adjustment
14" capacity
12 speed

grizzlytools.com/fcgi-bin...m&kw=G7943

What do people think?

JD
Old 12-10-2001, 06:38 PM
mn2deep

drill press

Josh,
Sears has the 9" table top on sale right now for $99. I'd go with that or the grizz.

Mike
Old 12-14-2001, 04:01 PM
John m cohea

Re: drill press

as for Grizzly`s products, I own two, the 2x72 grinder and the mini mill, and had one of their metal bandsaws until someone close to me stole it,but I am more than satisfied with their stuff, and service and assistance after the sale is great also. give them a try if you want good new tools at fair prices.I also use a craftsman bench top press from sears that has given me great service for under 100.00. Been using it two years now with no problems.

Tags
knife, knife making, knives