MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 04-13-2004, 04:20 PM
Guru

Red face I broke it!

OK, so trying to bend a brass tube assembly at the top of a burner tube while it is operating is a bad idea!

My dual tube assembly has been off slightly eversince I built it a couple years ago. I was just in an annoyed mood the other night due to rain, bugs, rats..and a few other things. I picked up a large hunting sword I've been working on and started to heat it up. I again noticed one burner was creating a hot spot compared to the other. A slight cant was noted in one of the upper burner assemblies causing a slight misalignment of the gas jet. I thought maybe I could bend the assembly (brass) ever so slightly and fix it. Of course I had to keep the forge running in order to determine the exat moment when fuel/air bliss had been achieved.

Needless to say, it didn't quite work like that. Instead, I heard a snap as the assembly came loose. this was followed by "huff" from the tube and the putrid smell of unburnt propane. I hit the shut off valve and all was well...other than a broke forge, bad temper and wasted night!

The irony was, I had spent most of the day at work giving safety lectures. one specific item is the "powering down of experiments and apparatus before adjusting or altering the set-up".

I guess do as I say, not as I do should be added to the next lecture .

Luckily, I'll be finishing a brand-spanking-new stainless-shelled forge tonight!
http://www.100megsfree3.com/kragaxe/Furnaces.html

Thought y'all would enjoy the story/irony.

Old 04-13-2004, 10:25 PM
Hall of Famer

*Brass has no class.

* Jerry Fisk

I think he was talking about guards at the time, but kinda fits don't it.

Kewl Forge. I loke that part about, I cain't build a forge cause i don't have a welder. Sheesh.

Nut's bolts, chisel's and drills are all ya need, The rest just makes it a little quicker maybe.

Oh yeah, I hate it when it rains bugs and rats too.

Old 04-14-2004, 08:07 AM
Guru

I thought I had solved the rat problem...I was wrong. The center structural support in my shop is a pair of 12" C-channel facing each other. The rats have nested in this and it continually drips "stuff" from the seam which happens to be over my grinding area. I was trying to avoid heavy duty poisons...but I think it's down to that. They really like grease based rouge and the glue used in grinding belts!

Tags
forge