MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Steel Addict

belt advice

Ok about to order the motor and everything to get my kmg up and running. Figured Id order some belts also but unsure as to what brands and types I should get. Any suggestions? I understand the basic grit belts but corks and other things like that im unfamiliar with and should I even worry about that for now and just get used to the kng some?

www.BishopCustomKnives.com
Old 05-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Hall of Famer

I like the Norton Blaze in 60 and 220 grit for rough grinding and 3M Micron belts in 60 and 30 (220 and 400 grit equivalent respectively) for secondary grinding. I then use a fine Scotch-Brite belt to put a satin finish on the blade. I do have dome 3M 15 micron belts (600 grit) if I ever do want to do a mirror finish. After that I'd just go to finer sand paper and then buff.

Cork belts are ok, they're supposed to reduce the heat from grinding by being soaked in water for about 15-20 minutes before use. Don't stand in front of the grinder when you turn it on with a freshly soaked belt on it or you'll take an unschedueled bath. The belts above are better and even with soaking the cork belts you will still have to cool your blade in water occasionally while grinding. I no longer bother with them.

Dougt

Old 05-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks. I guess ill be ordering some belts in the next few days and hopefully be up and running in the next week or 2!!

www.BishopCustomKnives.com

Tags
blade, knife, satin finish