MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Steel Addict

Kevster , email me at ericbrinkerhoff550@gmail.com with your physical address and ill mailit out.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Hall of Famer

Go to Amazon, at least that's where I found mine, and look for angle gauges. What you are looking for is a brass disc that has an assortment of angles cut around it's parameter. Or you can use a plastic compass to make a notch in a piece of cardboard. Just remember to punch a hole at the point of the angle to let the very edge can extend into it just a bit.

Doug

Old 06-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Steel Addict

Or,you can just do the math and find the "pitch". If the grind hieght is one inch and it is 1/8 of an inch thick there ,that is a 1/16" rise per side or about a 4-1/2 degree angle per side (I think)O f course it is easier to apply this to the main bevels than the secondary bevels.
Dont listen to me my math sucks.But you get the point

Last edited by ericbrinkerhoff; 06-25-2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: math not too good
Old 06-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Steel Addict

Ray the size of the pattern is not that easy for me. Can I please have the measurements from the tip of blade to the 1st top line of the ricasso, then the measurement between the two top lines and the two bottom lines on the ricasso itself. The handle is 4" from the bottom line of ricasso to the butt, that part I'm OK. Thanks

I have 1084 from Aldo if anyone is still looking you can send me a PM
Old 06-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

The blade is 5" from the tip to the front end of the ricasso. The ricasso is one inch wide. The handle is 4" long. The blade stock for this pattern would be 1" wide at a minimum.

If you are off by 1/8th inch somewhere it won't be the end of the world. The end of the world is if the blade is too hard or not hard enough or if the grain structure is too coarse...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-25-2013, 06:55 PM
Steel Addict

I have 1080 if anyone would want some of that. Just let me know.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:19 PM
Skilled

I 'might' have a 4 foot bar of 1" wide 1/8" thick 1084 I bought from Aldo a few months back, will check ASAP. I'm about 80% sure right now... If I do, I'd be willing to share.

I'm thinking seriously about getting in on this, I've been making knives longer than I like to admit but it would be good to have my heat-treating/geometry tested along side so many others by an unbiased tester.

If I can keep myself from trying to improve the shape of the test knife... Needs a tweek here and there and it could be pretty....

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Skilled

Yep, I have 4 feet of 1/8"x 1" 1084. I see a 5" blade, 4" handle, and 1" ricasso, so 10" overall. If we trimmed it down to 9" I could get 5 out of it, as is I can do 4. Keeping 1 for myself, this leaves 3 (or 4, if we cut the design down to 9") that I can supply for others. Drop me a pm if you want one.

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:23 AM

Some people have already made their blanks so the size needs to stay at 10" OAL...

Old 06-27-2013, 08:48 AM
Skilled

Yep mine is ready to heat treat
Old 06-27-2013, 01:17 PM
Skilled

I know I am going with stock removal for this one, is anyone going to forge there knife?
Old 06-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Skilled

When is the deadline to have the knife complete?
Old 06-27-2013, 02:08 PM

Try to get it in the mail to me about July 15. It's not cast in stone but if you miss by more than a couple days your blade won't get all the testing because it will miss the boat to Eli's. Since I'm paying all the shipping I only plan on doing it once. Besides, I figure Eli is busy with his job so he'll probably only get one or two days at most to do the testing ...

Old 06-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Yep, I'm starting out forging but it shouldn't be hard to come in close to those specs. Starting out with 3/16" bar helps but one should even be able to start out with 1/4" bar. Just draw it out a little more.

Doug

Old 06-27-2013, 03:31 PM

Try to remember to put a note in with your blade when you send it. Include your email address so I can tell you the results of the test. If you want your blade back then include a pre-paid shipping package of some type or at least a few bucks to cover the return shipping cost...

Tags
1084, back, blade, blades, brass, design, flat, flat grind, forge, full tang, handle, heat, how to, knife, knives, make, making, newbie, newest, pattern, sharp, simple, steel, tang, wood